A slightly different wedding

Discussion in 'People' started by ja6ke, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ja6ke

ja6ke

Dec 28, 2006
    U.S. D.C. area
    I had the honor of taking some pics at a Hindu/Jewish wedding this past weekend. Technically the pics are not great and I learned a tremendous amount from the experience but I thought I would share some of the ones that caught my eye. These were all shot in RAW and other than a bit of cropping on one in iPhoto no real post processing has been attempted.

The Bride

445583055_4b14f43301.

The Bride and Groom

View attachment 88379

The Bride and Groom trying to follow the required customs and spoken parts at about the 75 min mark of a 95 minute ceremony!

View attachment 88380

Something I bet you don't see at too many weddings

View attachment 88381

A quick catch while the real photographer is posing groups

View attachment 88382

After the ceremony a quick change and yet more photos

View attachment 88383

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Don't sell yourself short...these are really good.

3. These images are quite nice!! You should give yourself more credit Jake!! You did a great job.

4. Very sharp and clean... nice work.

5. ja6ke

ja6ke

Dec 28, 2006
    U.S. D.C. area
    Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.

I am pretty happy with these but I do get frustrated that I still have to fight with basic issues like framing, extra people in the background and too shallow a depth of field. I was hoping the basic stuff would come more naturally so I could concentrate on capturing pics that tell a story.

Overall I did learn quite a few things and any time I learn something new I am pretty happy.

6. Some very interesting and well done shots. Thanks for sharing these.

7. Don't let the frustration get the best of you. After a while the basics will come to you naturally. Try to get used to changing settings on the fly, and really learn your equipment and it's capabilities.

You should learn (or at least try to learn) something new each and every time you take your camera out of the bag. If you can't figure things out on your own, don't be afraid to ask questions here. There are many skilled/talented/knowledgeable people here that are more than willing to help. I'm not one of them, but I'm willing to help too!! :biggrin:

8. ja6ke

ja6ke

Dec 28, 2006
    U.S. D.C. area
    Thanks Keith,

I have actually been following your progress and am basing my equipment wish list largely on your experiences. The beast is next on my list. I think I can cover 95% of a wedding using that and the 70-200.

I have seen you mention you shoot weddings so maybe you can help me with something. I missed a lot of shots by using too much f2.8 on groups of people. After I was all done I started wondering if event shooters have any rules of thumb for aperture selection (assuming flash use and realizing dof varies with distance). I was trying to figure out if something like
    f1.8 - 2.8 for individuals
    f2.8 - 4.0 for couples
    f4.0 - 8? for multi row groups of people

Something like that for a "general" rule of thumb that I can use as a starting point and then adjust/violate for artistic reasons. My goal would be to be able to look through the viewfinder, get a rough head count, glance at the aperture and quickly know I was good to go.

Too simplistic?