A slow day in the Wetlands

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Nov 13, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

Yesterday I shot with Kevin and Gale at the Viera Wetlands. I went home a tad discouraged because, as we had talked about the whole time we were shooting, it was really a sloooow day at the Wetlands. I managed to get these shots.

a northern shoveler
    44318077-O.

a Greater Yellowleg
    44318079-O.

a snowy egret
    44318082-O.

a Least Sandpiper
    44318084-O.

a Broad-Winged Hawk
    44318086-O.

a Green heron on a bad hair day
    44318088-O.

a little ole gator
    44318091-O.

What a bummer, no eagles, no opreys with fish in their talons, no caracaras, and no large groups of birds.

As I was culling out some shots I did some quick math and I had 245 shots of 18 different varieties of birds and I had passed on shots of another 12 or so because I had similar shots of them already. We had seen over 30 varieties of birds in a few hours. In fact it was a fine day at the wetlands. The only thing slow was a certain photographer who had become so spoiled that he couldn't appreciate what was in front of him.

2. Slow day or not, Harry, your photos are always excellent. I'm kind of glad in hindsight as it made me go back and "look" for something to shoot. Guess we get spoiled at the over abundance of opportunities sometimes at Viera.

It was a great day, nonetheless, even if lunch was the best part of the day!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible day Harry. If I were you, I'd give away all my equipment and take up stamp collecting. You can send the 500 f4 up to Huntsville. :biggrin:

Obviously, I need to move to FL. A really bad day down there usually beats a great day here. Very nice shots all. :wink:

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Kevin, it was a fun day with great company. I think we have gotten spoiled and a tad lazy shooting at the Wetlands. We expect great photo ops to be awaiting us around every bend of the road. We have almost forgotten what its like to work at getting our shots.

5. Rub it in, Harry. :smile:

Just tell some of them to hang around until February, that's all I ask!

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I'll trade you a bad day at Viera anytime !!
    As always Harry whatever you post is a pleasure for me to view.

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    You're right Frank, a bad day here is better than a lot of other places. Us natives just have to learn to appreciate what we got.

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Not to worry David. I gave all the birds explicit instructions that they were to stya in place until March. :biggrin:

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Ben. There are no bad days at Viera, just a bad photographer every once in awhile.