A Small Brooch

z61_5678.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Alternatively:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Really stunning photograph of this item!!!! I would have had the brooch higher in back and lower in front....and your composition is so much better!!!! This composition has so much depth to it, not to mention the exquisite details!

Thanks both.

I just positioned it where it looked "right" to me. Regarding the bg, i think Photoshop needs a well defined pattern in order to produce a sharp all over look and in this case it wasn't, so i did a quick and easy blur to focus attention on the main subject.

i think Photoshop needs a well defined pattern in order to produce a sharp all over look
I just now looked up the manual for Helicon Focus. It says the default algorithm "perfectly renders textures on smooth surfaces." (If the surface is smooth, how can it have any texture?) The product gives you the choice of using three algorithms and each one can be fine-tuned using other parameters. I wonder if Helicon Focus would have solved your problem.

I decided to buy a license to the Lite version of Helicon Focus after comparing its capabilities with the two heftier versions. I licensed it mostly for three reasons:
  • It provides more control to the user than Photoshop;
  • The initial process of selecting the images to be stacked and then stacking them is so much faster than Photoshop's method (there are fewer steps and the processing speed itself seems faster); and
  • Though I've made only several focus-stacked images, Photoshop just plain didn't work a couple times whereas Helicon Focus has always worked.
A one-year Lite license costs $30 and a lifetime license costs $115. Based on how often a new product requiring a new license has been released in the past, it's possible if not likely that using the current version paying one year at a time will cost $90 and no more than $120. It's also possible that they put the upgrade cost to a lifetime license on sale, in which case I would consider buying that license at that time.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying the license arrangement. I think that i should try it and, like you, get the Lite version.

Another thing that came to light during this project was that my existing scratch disc arrangement was not sufficient. Time to get a dedicated usb 3 scratch disc.

I have downloaded and installed (and paid for) the Pro Version.

Just running one stack through it (quickly) has convinced me that it is superior to Photoshop for close-up projects.

Photoshop might be all that you need for Landscape projects but Helicon is VERY, VERY good (so far!).

DG

Be sure to eventually check out the 3-D module that's available in your Pro version (not in my Lite version). I used it during the 30-day trial period and it can be lots of fun.

It would also be great to learn whether Helicon Focus handles the tabletop in this thread's photo the way you want. If so, it would be even better to see the photo.

Be sure to eventually check out the 3-D module that's available in your Pro version (not in my Lite version). I used it during the 30-day trial period and it can be lots of fun.

It would also be great to learn whether Helicon Focus handles the tabletop in this thread's photo the way you want. If so, it would be even better to see the photo.
I am trying that as we speak, but I have uploaded another one which Photoshop would not do properly.

DG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom