a small error in Nikon Capture help file

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Iliah, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    "The controls in the Edit Camera Curves window are identical to those in the Curves window, except in the following respects: .... (3) the midpoint may not be edited;..."

This is wrong, at least for NEF files with Capture 4.3 and thumbnails generated with D2X.

Andrew Raszevski suggested his curve for D2X (with -0.7..-1eV)

http://nikonimages.ownmail.net/Images/060606.ntc

here is how the curve looks like:

[​IMG]

Contrary to what is written in NC Help, midpoint adjustment does work. Here are two images (NEF through NC, converted to jpg), first one taken with midlle point at 1.4, and second - same curve, but with middle point set to 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Iliah,

Interesting approach with this curve. Do you think this curve or a similar one may work with the D70?

I understand that this curve works only properly with exposure compensation set to -.7 to -1EV?

3. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Maybe Nikon should contract out there software and help file writing?! :)

4. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Heiko - one word. Noise.

5. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks Iliah - got the point. Guess I have to wait for the D2X become affordable, or jump right onto the next generation hydrogen-cooled super-CCD camera with a zero-noise ISO range to 6400 :lol: .