1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A small lens for big jobs... the 35/2

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I usually load up my small camera bag for casual use as follows:

d200
    28-105/3.5-4.5 - my walk around lens
    70-300VR - just in case I stop at the lake
    sb800 - just in case I need some light

But today, as I was headed out the door, I decided to add the tiny 35/2. I could use it for low light snaps should the need arise. It was a fortunate decision, because when I got to the gym, one of my favorite trainers, Sarah, asked if I could shoot a new bio picture for her, and I love the 35/2 for portraits.

I used the sb800 off-camera, with the 5x7" Lumiquest softbox installed over the flash head. I shot in manual, so I could balance the flash with the ambient light in the gym. Here's a couple of samples...

103645141.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 257240

and here's the shot Sarah selected for her bio pic.

View attachment 257241

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Frank: I love the last one. Very warm amd friendly expression. I dont like the chair in the loe left hand corner. Easy enough to get rig of in the digatal world.

Gregory

3. Love the last shot

I really love the last shot - excellent capture

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Frank: I love the last one. Very warm amd friendly expression. I dont like the chair in the loe left hand corner. Easy enough to get rig of in the digatal world.

Gregory

5. Thanks, guys. I had to work with her for 15 minutes and took 20 shots before she relaxed enough to give up that sweet smile. It was worth the wait ;-).

6. First and last ones for me.

I know what you mean about getting people to relax. I've taken to setting the camera up on a tripod with a cable release and then start taking to them. Then start snapping a few while they are off guard to get them laughing, gesturing, and saying I can't use that shot with their hands up. At which time I snap another one. Breaks the ice a little.

7. TEWKES

TEWKES

Aug 18, 2008
    Canada
    Nice work...

The last one is the best imo.

Cheers,

Mark

8. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Nice work Frank!

9. The last one is the money shot. Nice work!

The 35 truly is a nice little lens.

10. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Last one is a keeper!!!

11. Hey, Frank,
    You capture wonderful portraits and it's clear you know your lighting and equipment, but your ability to charm a sweet smile from a nervous subject still dazzles me. Great shots and great technique!

12. And I really do like the 35... although lately I'm growing very attached to my new Sig Dirty Thirty.

13. Did you trade your 35/2 for the Siggy?

The problems with owning a Dirty Thirty is everyone will compare your work to Nute's :rolleyes: .

14. I like the last one best, BUT her right eye is out of focus(well noticible softer then her left), was that intentional ? eitherway doesnt work for me. Apart from that its a keeper.

15. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Love the last shot too, Frank. Beautiful.

I have my 35 f/2 with me at all times...

16. I still have the 35, but it's mostly sitting in my bag. The Thirty is really fun.

Unfortunately, I compare my work with Nute's... do you remember George Goebel's famous line on the Johnny Carson show... "Do you ever feel like life is a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes?"

Life is hard... especially with guys like you and Nute around. :biggrin::biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.