A Snowy Egret & a Flappin' Sandihill Crane

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Harris and I went over to the H.S. just before sunset to watch the Sandhills come in and do their flappin/dancin thing. Managed to grab these before the sun set.
    original.
    Model NIKON D2Hs
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 500 mm
    Exposure Time 1/350 sec
    Aperture f/6.3
    ISO Equivalent 800
    Exposure Bias +1/3
    White Balance (-1)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority

original.
    Model NIKON D2Hs
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 700 mm
    Exposure Time 1/200 sec
    Aperture f/6.3
    ISO Equivalent 400
    Exposure Bias +1/3
    White Balance (-1)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

More excellent shots. I'm so envious of the great time that you are having (I don't mind you having a good time, just wish I could be down there with you folks :rolleyes:).

I have one nit. I have noticed on most of your posts recently that you have gone away from the tendency to use USM a little on the aggressive side. These seem a tad over sharpened to me. Your shots are plenty good enough that they don't need to be pushed USM-wise. This of course, is a personal thing, and others may disagree. Just my take. Hope you don't mind. :wink:

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Point takne Frank. Problem is, that since I've moved down here, I'm still doing my editing on an uncalibrated LCD "surfing" monitor, & my surfing puter, 'cause I don't have a table or desk to put my good monitor & puter on. I'm never sure how these things look to others, but I can ease up on the USM though. Thanks for commenting on that.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

I have to say, the problem is minimal on these shots, and non-existent on other shots that you posted recently. :smile:

I'm still envious. :rolleyes:

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Sandhill shot is Swwweeettt

6. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Hi Steve very nice shots.I liked second one.Excellent details.
    Thanks for sharing.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Know what Frank, I just realized that I'm using FM's D2X CS Pro sharpener for my D2Hs files too! These shots are from the Hs. Also, I think I need RR's recommended USM settings for Capture. You got those? I've only got 1 of them, and I'm sure that's not good for all ISO settings. It's 66/5/4.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

I don't have Ron's USM settings for the Hs or the X. Sorry. Have you tried his web site?

So how do you like the Hs after shooting with the X?

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I know they're in his ebook, but that's on the other, main editing puter, not this one. Been poking around his site to find them. Re d2x vs d2hs, I have to say, if you don't need to crop too much, then the file size of the Hs is FAR more desirable. That, and I think there's less noise in the Hs vs the 2x OR the H. Both good things....