A Snowy Egret with my 80-400 and Kenko TC 1.4

I was out on the beach today, and I foud this Snowy. I tracked it for a while, and finally got this picture. This was hand held. Comments welcome as always. :)
31017380-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ed, this is a fantastic shot! Really like it...

However, the compression of the "save as .jpg" you are using, makes it look a lot worse than it is -I'm sure.

I mean, hey, 56KB ???? try to save it at a lower compression higher quality ratio, try to get a 150KB or even 200KB file...

Sometimes, the difference between a 300mm f/2.8 and a 70-300mm G at 300mm f/5.6 is the ratio we choose to save the file.

Don't worry about b/w and connection speeds, even a 56Kbps can perform well with a 200KB file...

Just my suggestion for a MAJOR improvement on quality.

Compression

Panos Kazanelis said:
Ed, this is a fantastic shot! Really like it...

However, the compression of the "save as .jpg" you are using, makes it look a lot worse than it is -I'm sure.

I mean, hey, 56KB ???? try to save it at a lower compression higher quality ratio, try to get a 150KB or even 200KB file...

Sometimes, the difference between a 300mm f/2.8 and a 70-300mm G at 300mm f/5.6 is the ratio we choose to save the file.

Don't worry about b/w and connection speeds, even a 56Kbps can perform well with a 200KB file...

Just my suggestion for a MAJOR improvement on quality.

Hi,
I am not sure what you are suggesting. I thought that I had saved at a lower compression ratio. Let me try it again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ed,

Very nice pic. I checked and Panos is right. You must have saved it at level 6 or 8. I always save at level 12 (using PS CS). Makes for big files and slow downloads for folks on dial-up, but it sure does show your shots in the best light.

Great Image.

I don't pay much attention to the net image rez of the pic posts anymoe, cause I know what the net does. I can still tell a great image and yours is.

oh dear I am saving mine much lower.. Oh well you guys can tell me...

Also don't quite know how to process with the new LCD Grrrr

Ed, I used the Kinko converter today with the 80-400 Vr.

I am happy with it. Thank You

Very nice Ed I liek it, I dont even use the save for web I resize the shot to 800 on the long side and then do a save as and save at level 9-10 or between about 250K and 300K. Gives a much cripser image online then the save for web feature

File size

Flew said:
Ed,

Very nice pic. I checked and Panos is right. You must have saved it at level 6 or 8. I always save at level 12 (using PS CS). Makes for big files and slow downloads for folks on dial-up, but it sure does show your shots in the best light.

Hi Frank,
I am at my summer place, and I am on dialup. Usually, I set my pictures to 800 on the long side. I am not sure what jpg level. I guess in the future, I will save at a much higher level. Thanks for the comments. :)

Kenko

Gale said:
Great Image.

I don't pay much attention to the net image rez of the pic posts anymoe, cause I know what the net does. I can still tell a great image and yours is.

oh dear I am saving mine much lower.. Oh well you guys can tell me...

Also don't quite know how to process with the new LCD Grrrr

Ed, I used the Kinko converter today with the 80-400 Vr.

I am happy with it. Thank You

Hi Gale,

The Kenko does a good job with the 80-400. I am glad that you are enjoying yours. Thanks for the comments. :)

REZ

mike mac said:
Very nice Ed I liek it, I dont even use the save for web I resize the shot to 800 on the long side and then do a save as and save at level 9-10 or between about 250K and 300K. Gives a much cripser image online then the save for web feature

Hi Mike,
I do basically the same hing. I am not sure what jpg level that I used on this pictre, but I will increase it in the future. Thanks for your comments.

I will be relocating from Ca to Ct. I looked at your smugmug it is good to see I can find some of my favorites on the other coast but I don't think I will be able to shot 12 mos a year :-(

Rich

Snowy

goodrich62 said:
Nice Shot. I love the Snowy as you Can most likely tell by our avatar :)

Rich

Hi Rich,
Our summer place is in the ape May area, so the Snowy and other Egrets are usually around. They are fun bids to take pictures of. Thanks for your comments. :)

drueter said:
Nice, sharp Snowy, Ed! Really like the composition of this shot.

Hi Don,

I took several shots of this bird, and this was my last picture of the day. I like the way it turned out, as well. Thanks for your comments. :)

Moving

goodrich62 said:
I will be relocating from Ca to Ct. I looked at your smugmug it is good to see I can find some of my favorites on the other coast but I don't think I will be able to shot 12 mos a year :-(

Rich
Hi Rich,
You shold be able to shoot 12 months out of the year. There are a variety of different species of birds and animals in the wintermonths. Of course there will be new challenges, but that is part of the fun. :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom