A snowy in flight

Nice light on a beautiful bird. These little guys are quick.
gary

orlando 42421  55494.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Perfect exposure
With mirrorless getting the exposure I want is so easy, even a cave man could do it.
Some of my work is extremely exposure dependent. With film it took years, studying the zone system, to get exposure right.
With a dslr it got easier- but you really couldn't confirm exposure until after you took the shot.
With mirrorless it is so easy. I have shutterspeed and aperture set- and adjust iso on the rear control wheel. Takes seconds, and exposure is right on the money. Almost too easy.
Much more accurate than auto-iso. I don't even use auto-iso anymore.
It does take some practice, but I adjust exposure even as the bird flies in and out of the light- the blinkies in the viewfinder guide the way.
The technical challenge is gone, I could teach it to anyone in 2 hours- instead of 10 years.
gary

With mirrorless getting the exposure I want is so easy, even a cave man could do it.
Some of my work is extremely exposure dependent. With film it took years, studying the zone system, to get exposure right.
With a dslr it got easier- but you really couldn't confirm exposure until after you took the shot.
With mirrorless it is so easy. I have shutterspeed and aperture set- and adjust iso on the rear control wheel. Takes seconds, and exposure is right on the money. Almost too easy.
It does take some practice, but I adjust exposure even as the bird flies in and out of the light- the blinkies in the viewfinder guide the way.
The technical challenge is gone, I could teach it to anyone in 2 hours- instead of 10 years.
gary

But even with your on the fly EV compensation, I suspect you had some play with your exposure in PP. It's all really well done.

Mitch, actually for the last few months since the mirrorless workflow really clicked I do not usually do any global exposure adjustments on these files. I use capture one, and the only global adjustments are usually color adjustments. Then into photoshop. With the dslr I would usually have to add or subtract about 1/2 stop or so, really don’t have to do that anymore, unless an overall global decrease in exposure gives me a better look. I also don’t bother exposing everything to the right, maybe I still should, but I can usually get the look I want through the viewfinder. So much easier.
Gary

By the way, I did a fair amount of testing to adjust exactly where blinkies/zebra show up. I set it between +105 and +109. I do adjust that based on the light. 105 if bright open sun, 109 if cloudy or shadows. I usually set it at the beginning of a shoot and don’t have to change it unless light unexpectedly gets harsh.
Gary

gary
That's one of the reasons I hope that Nikon implements the blinkies in the viewfinder (not just in playback mode)...

Glenn

Glenn, I didn’t realize nikon didn’t have blinkies in the viewfinder. It is a game changer. It can get in the way, so I have a custom button setup to turn the blinkies on and off without moving the camera away from my eye.
Gary

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom