A software question on RAW (NEF) files ?

Retief said:
Melissa and Todd, he does mean that Capture physically changes the NEF itself, rather than creating a "sidecar" file the way that Bibble, Photoshop and Capture 1 do. The danger for any 3rd party in writing to the NEF is that Nikon, just like Canon, has "proprietary" bits in the file that are not directly exposed and that they do not publicly document. This is one of the reasons that Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) is not yet ready for the D2X. One list I am on has Thomas Knoll of Adobe as a member, and there have been some quite interesting exchanges between him and a couple of Nikon folks regarding just this point.

In a sense though, Todd, you do make a good point. All of the information that is changed in the NEF by Capture does not directly change the captured data. It is all stored in another part of the same file, this is the reason it is so easy to return the file to a "pristine" state.

I hope that Peter or Iliah see this thread, I may send them a PM, because they can do a much better job than I can in explaining how this works. They have done a superb job, and are still doing one, in this regard with RM.

Bill,

Thank you for the info. Forgive me but the statement caught me off guard. I thought that was what he was saying. I just don't know yet what Capture can and cannot do since I am new to Capture.

Thank you,

="Catz
Bill,

Thank you for the info. Forgive me but the statement caught me off guard. I thought that was what he was saying. I just don't know yet what Capture can and cannot do since I am new to Capture.

Thank you,

No worries, just wait until I start asking you questions on how to do the background on my GBH image better, but I'll put THAT one in the Photoshop forum. Keep watching, and then you can "edumacate" this old coot right out the door :lol: .

On a semi-serious note what I find the fascinating in all of this is how we each have slightly differenct areas of expertise, and how much it helps when we all get together. Truly a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Then you throw in the "tech talk" that far too many of us speak and it only confuses the issue even more.

And then, just when we DO understand it, some yoohoo in Marketing decides that the terminology needs to change and we spend the next 2 years figuring out that the "latest and greatest" is the same darned thing we have been since time began :roll: .

Retief said:
="Catz
Bill,

Thank you,

No worries, just wait until I start asking you questions on how to do the background on my GBH image better, but I'll put THAT one in the Photoshop forum. Keep watching, and then you can "edumacate" this old coot right out the door :lol: .

I will look for the post and see what I can do to help you. I like helping others if I can.

Latest threads

Top Bottom