A special wedding shoot

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will upload pictures tomorrow, it's getting late now but anyway I was battling with bright sunlight in the background while shooting under the shade of a large tree.
Also the 'bride' asked me to be discreet because "Micky can get upset very quickly" and I had to keep my distance. So even though I had the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 on
one body I shot almost exclusively with the 18-140mm lens which was on my second body and mostly at 140mm and f5.6. I set my function button to 'spot metering'
so that I didn't have silhouettes in many of the images and used matrix metering and shadow recovery in NX-D for the other half of the images.
Here is the first gallery.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I'm on a couple of FB groups for care givers and the pictures they post of their loved ones are usually horrible; your shots will be a wonderful memory for the family.
Good for you.

And this morning the story gets told again.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And this morning the story gets told again.View attachment 1642314
Though I did this for free and my real reward was being a part of it I certainly got a boost in website views.
Then there were the other stories that evolved from it like Caters media who promised me thousands to go exclusive with them - I didn't fully believe their promises but did it because the 'bride' wanted to go exclusive with them as well. They made big promises to her of "percentage of profits from sales" etc. etc. and she ended up getting about $400 from them for her time after all that.
The Guideposts magazine quoted above were really good about it - when they asked if they could use some images I sent them the link and basically told them "help yourselves to the images" . They got back to me and said "We want to pay you for the use, give us a price". I told them "$100" [meaning "for the use of the images"] and they sent me an email a few days later stating that they had used 6 of the images and "please bill us for $600". I was rather taken aback at someone offering payment so freely but the money was in my account by the end of the month. It has been an interesting experience - I'm wondering how the couple are 2 years later now?

Real Name
Chris
This is such an amazing and uplifting story, thank you so much for sharing. I often find ways to give back to my community through my camera and I am so happy to see another story like that here. As we’d say in the navy, Bravo Zulu!

This is such an amazing and uplifting story, thank you so much for sharing. I often find ways to give back to my community through my camera and I am so happy to see another story like that here. As we’d say in the navy, Bravo Zulu!
Thank you :) I find that I get more when I try to give back. 2 years ago I did a pregnancy announcement shoot for a couple as a "tfp" shoot because I wanted the practice. They contacted me 2 weeks ago to ask how much to do another pregnancy shoot. I told them I would do it for fun because they were such a nice couple to work with and we did the shoot last weekend. Today I found a package in my mailbox with a box of chocolates, a thank you card and US$10 worth of gift vouchers :)

I received this email today - now I'm in a song :)

Sad news: After forwarding a letter to Linda she called and was in tears. During the lockdown "Mickey" ended up in hospital and she wasn't allowed to visit. He died of a heart attack a few weeks ago.
This is the letter I forwarded to her:
To Linda Joyce,
I wrote a song, or rather lyrics, about your second "wedding" to Michael (Micky?) after reading a story about it in the Washington Post by a wonderful writer named Allison Klein. When I read her story it brought tears to me eyes, and I just had to write about it. I wanted to send it to you, but didn't know how to reach you.
Robert Keelin, a friend and musician from a Washington, DC area songwriting group to which we both belong, offered to write a melody for the song, and he recently recorded it. I'm including a link to the song and copying the lyrics below. I hope you like the song, but we would welcome any reaction you might have. To top it off, though we didn't know how to get the song to you, Robert was able to reach Desmond Downs, since his website/blog is linked in the Washington Post story. Desmond was kind enough to provide your email address, and yesterday he also mentioned the song and put a link to the recording at the end of his story on the wedding! It was so wonderful for me to see the two of you and see the wedding ceremony and celebration in his photographs. I loved it.
Your experience was very touching for me for a couple reasons. First, my late mother had Alzheimer's, and I marveled at how my late father took care of her, sometimes with some frustration, but always with love. That helped me relate a little bit to your reactions as related by Ms. Klein. Also, my wife of 42 years (her first name is Joyce!) and I had one of our best vacations ever in New Zealand a few years ago. It was so special for us. I'd been once before just to Wellington on a business trip but had not really seen the country and met the delightful people.
So I hope you don't mind our telling your story as best we could without ever having met you or talked with you. I tried to stay true to Ms. Klein's telling of it, even using some of her your and her language where it fit. Again, any reaction, criticisms, or suggestions would be most welcome.
Finally, Allison Klein's story appeared in the Washington Post under the heading "Inspired Life," which is a feature she oversaw in the newspaper for a few years. Your story certainly inspired me. I am sure that it inspired others in Desmond's portrayal of it. I hope the song that Robert and I created will inspire even others.
And I hope you and Michael are both doing well during this pandemic.
Roy Gamse
3615 N Kenilworth Street
Arlington, VA 22207-1321
USA
[email protected]
1-703-532-5648
================
The link to the song is: https://soundcloud.com/robbie-kdc%2Fdeja-vu-5-28-20-wav That link now also appears at the very end of Desmond Downs' piece on the wedding: https://www.springbokphotography.com/blog/2018/1/21/a-special-wedding-shoot
Here are the lyrics:
Déjà Vu Wedding

Michael and Linda were married
They'd been wed over thirty-eight years
But Michael's lost much of his memory
Now lots of his past disappears
He's forgotten he's married to Linda
But he loves her, that's certainly clear
So, out of the blue, with tear-filled eyes
He proposed, "Will you marry me, dear?"

Chorus
What do you do when your world spins around
And you're living a deja vu
You do what you can to capture the joy
Say of course I will marry you

Linda thought that he might not remember
But the next day when he awoke
He asked "When will we get married?"
Those were the first words he spoke
So she asked on the neighborhood website
If someone would say a few words
And Desmond a local photographer said
He'd take photos for those two lovebirds

Chorus

Bridge
On that morning Michael remembered
Told her happily, "Today's the day"
They said their vows by a scenic lake
And they danced as bagpipes were played

Linda says there's been lots of frustration
When memories are all but destroyed
But despite all of the fogginess
That day had been a pure joy
For Michael 'twas a beautiful wedding
He'll remember as long as he can
For Linda 'twas precious and memorable
Deja vu all over again

Chorus

Of course I will marry you

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom