A spring hummer

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Dec 27, 2005.

1. This winter stuff here is depressing. I was working through the 2005 photos, making the final cull, when I came across this shot that I had passed over before for some unknown reason. Probably because the other shots had the inflamed gorget.

This was one of the early shots after I got my D2X, with the 500/4 TC14.

1/250s f/7.1 ISO 400 -0.7 EV fill flash in the evening golden light.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wonderful image Rory. Did you use flash on this one?

3. Yes - the -0.7 EV was on the matrix metering. The fill flash was at 0 EV. Hmmm, wonder why I did not do it the other way round, but it seems to have worked.

4. Great Image! On the bright side of things, only 4 months til spring!!!! :)

5. That's so cute Rory, do you get any of the Anna's around your place in the winter?

I see them mentioned in the Nanaimo bird alert, the have been seen in Parksville and Gabriola Island also.

Martin

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Sweet shot
    glad you didn't cull it !!

7. We had one a couple of years agp, but have not seen it since. My wife gave up and took the feeder down in the winter.

8. Good shot Rory. What is the reflection in the eye? Unless you like it, I might try reducing that in PS.

I'm sure the Anna's will be all over your area soon. When I started birding around 1980, there were about 10 Anna's in Victoria around the 10 Mile Point area. Now there are probably thousands. We have at least three pair that are wintering around our feeders here. They seem to be gradually moving north each year. When the Rufous come back in March, they are much more agressive than the Anna's and tend to dominate them around the feeders.

t

9. I don't know what the reflection is, but thanks for pointing it out. I agree that it would be better toned down.

10. Beautiful shot Rory, so clear and sharp with excellent color. Way to go.

11. Thanks Gordon, Ben and Ann!

12. Hi Rory, great shot I love taking pics. of Hummers and I also am waiting for them to come back in my area. I sure hope you don't mind but I think my monitor may be showing pics a little on the dark side so I wanted to test out seeing it lightend up and what the original looked like along side a lightened up one. I sure hope you won't be upset.
    Pete
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Great shot Rory :biggrin:

14. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Very nice capture.

Regards,
    John

15. Very nice incredible detail this is one species I have not had the oppurtunity yet to shoot

16. Hi Pete

I guess it is a matter of taste, but I prefer mine :biggrin: I do prefer my shots on the dark side most of the time. Your rendition seems to have suffered significant JPG compression, so that may be colouring my judgement. My latest framing scheme is a real test for JPG compression :biggrin:

If you are concerned about your monitor try going to a DPReview camera review and look at the gray scale - I also have one on at my site home page www.pbase.com/roryhill. You should be able to see all the scale cells.

17. Thanks Mike^2 and John!