A Standard Portrait of

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    my wife, taken with the D100 and Sigmas 70-200mm lens @70mm, f/8 raw. Three lights, the main in a softbox, a hairlight, backdrop light and a reflector on camera right.
    Jarrell

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

That is a terrific formal portrait! Really nice!

Of course having the right model helps.......

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Jarrell,

so glad to see you.

Carol first of all is a Beautiful lady.

Great protrait of her. Extremely well done as usual.

Say hello to Carol and Hannah for me.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very pretty lady Jarrell, and a wonderful picture. Every time I see one of your posts it reminds me of how much I have to learn about this hobby. :wink:

5. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I appreciate that everyone. Carol has always been kind enough to sit for me while I work out lighting, not everyone likes to do that. I managed to get her to sit for me just before she left to go to a wedding this time. I thought I'd do some studio type work since it is sooooo hot and humid here in Georgia this time of year. I hear it's not much better elsewhere either.
    Jarrell

6. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Opps.... it just dawned on me this should have been posted to the People section. I apologize and will try to remember that next time.
    Jarrell

7. This is a beautiful portrait. Like all other members, you have a gorgeous lady. Unlike others, she doesn't mind posing for you. :wink:

8. Jarrell, I hope one day my portraits will have that same special quality that yours do! This one is exquisite! :)

You're responsible for me picking up a nice rattan posing chair. A while back you had posted some shots of a young lady in a rattan chair. It looked so nice, I spent hours searching for just the right look.

Hope to see more of your portrait work!

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    A very well done portrait of your lovely wife. Lighting and exposure are excellent, and you did well with her glasses. That can be tricky. Two thumbs up from me. :)

10. NikonK

NikonK

May 27, 2005
    Brilliant & excellent. How I wish I have my own home studio.

Thanks for sharing.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Portraits of one's wife is a secial thing, and need not be kept in the portrait forum. We know you Jarrell through your writing and photography. Now to see beauty behind your inspiration is, well, a General Discussion kind of thing. You posted in the right place as far as I am concerned.

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thank you all for the kind comments. I'm really out of practice at this, having not done one in months. Portraiture, like bird photography or macros or, well...... any other kind.. takes doing it a LOT to do it well. So much to learn, so little time..
    :)
    Paul, I probably overdid the hands a wee bit as I am wont to do. I usually make several versions of a portrait using this or that technique. I posted this one because she liked it best, and the customer is ALWAYS right.
    FahMun Kwan, studios are very nice but they have a habit of not being used a lot unless you're in the business and then they're never used enough either. But, they are a lot of fun and many different types of pictures can be made there, like the cicada photo..
    or dogs.. :), though Hannah, like kids, is in a stage where she won't pose very well. The best thing about studio equipment is that once you buy it you'll have it for years and years, it doesn't go obsolete on you like digital cameras.
    Well, I've rambled enough. Again, thank you all very much.
    Jarrell

14. What a beautiful picture of Carol!!! This really shows her personality, you've captured the light and sparkle of her eyes perfectly, your treatment of the shot is superb and your lighting of the whole thing is perfect!!!! Next time I come through, I want to see this at least 24x30 on the livingroom wall!! *LOL*
    For those of you who've never had the good fortune to meet this lady, her personality is SO warm and it really comes through in this portrait. A beautiful portrait of a beautiful person, Jarrell.

15. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Sandi, on Carols behalf I thank you very much. It was a pleasure meeting you last year and we hope that you'll come back again whenever you can.
    That is, if you can get the back, knee and elbow back in shape enough to make the trip! :)
    Jarrell

16. papa85

papa85 Guest

Very nice job Jarrell. Lighting is done very well. Does she have glarefroof lens in her glasses? I really like the backround lighting. Well done Keep them coming. Thanks for sharing. :D

17. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thanks Tony. No, she has regular glasses and as you know they can be a pain to light. For people with glasses I usually dispense with the usual fill light near the camera and go with the main light at about 45 degrees to the right or left and a large reflector very close on the opposite side. That... and a background and hairlight will usually do the job.
    Jarrell

18. papa85

papa85 Guest

Thanks Jarrell, I'L give that a try. Always has been a problem for me .
    Great job.

19. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I should have done this at the beginning for anyone interested. The lighting is the simplest formula (aren't they always the best).
    Jarrell

20. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Very nice portrait Jarrell, ditto on all the previous comments. Thanks for posting the lighting diagram, it helps a lot trying to understand how effective lighting is done.