1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A Strange Thing Happened!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G2EWS, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Hi All,

Last night, Eleanor and I went for a walk. Eleanor had my Fuji S3 with the Nikon 18 - 200 VR lens and I was using the D300 with my newly acquired Tokina 12 - 24 lens.

I took this shot:

_DSC6052.
    NIKON D300    ---    24mm    f/8.0    1/125s    ISO 400

And then within seconds took this one:

_DSC6053.
    NIKON D300    ---    24mm    f/8.0    1/125s    ISO 400

A close inspection will reveal a light on the right middle of the first picture! We looked in the woods and could find nothing that would explain why this was the case. Nothing! However we did spot some flashes that we found very unusual. This is in the middle of nowhere, no roads or buildings just woods!

Very odd!

Regards

Chris

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi chris-

EXIF says the flash fired, so most likely it's a reflection off a dust particle or something else in the air.

ricky

3. Hi Ricky,

You may be right, but cannot understand the flashes of light we saw in the woods!

BTW how can you see the exif data off the picture. Often wondered how people mention it.

Regards

Chris

4. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    You're worried about the light, but what about that black and white shape that suddenly appeared in the grass at the lower right? Wooooooooo.

Flashes of light could be fireflies?

5. Whatever it was, looks like it scared your dog, he's running away from the woods at full speed ;) 

6. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    To view the exif. get Opanda ExifViewer.

7. It's a ghost, but a very small one mind you.

8. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Good catch, I was ready to call Art Bell.

9. Hi Alan,

Thanks for that. So does that mean if you want to check a photo out you need to down load it to your computer?

Regards

Chris

10. I think it may be a long abandoned/overgrown fence post. Look to the right and left of the wood and you will see 2 thin uprights to the right of the pic and 1 to the left. One is right below the reflector.

Either that, or big brother really is watching you!

11. It IS a fence. I lightened the shadows and you can now clearly see the fence. I am temporarily hosting this on my site and will take it down so. Sorry for manipulating your image, but I have always been envious of the folks on the US TV series CSI!!!!!![​IMG]

12. jcovert

jcovert Guest

It's obviously swamp gas.

13. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    So spill the beans, who threw the dog a ball??? :biggrin:

14. Since the mystery is solved, I'll help with your question

Go here and download the app - then install it
    http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

Then when you see a picture posted on here - right click and select 'View Exif/GPS/IPTC with Exif'
    When you click on that, it will show you all the shot info

*Some hosting sites strip this info off, so it may not appear. but on this site, it seems to be only about 10% of pics don't have it

For your local computer, you can open this app and then browse to your pictures - you will see all the info about the shot

It's very slick and easy to use

Hope this helps

Here is another cool app for viewing your shot preferences

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ExposurePlot.html

15. Exposure plot is a fascinating and a helpful learning tool!

16. Swamp gas - it is ALWAYS swamp gas. It is too low to be a weather balloon!

17. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Sorry - it's not a fence post. My bet is that an insect flew in front of your camera at just the right time and the blown highlights from the flash caused this.

18. Allen, you may be right. Darn alternative hypothesis! :biggrin:

19. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I can't believe you caught the spontaneous creation of a dog on camera

20. It is the gunman behind the fence from the grassy knoll.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.