A Strobist Approach

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by BigPixel, Aug 3, 2007.

1. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Aloha.

This is the type of shot we're striving for in my dept for 'Malamalama', the official publication for the University of Hawaii. It comes out three times a year, its our main product. Unlike most University Alumni rags, we don't load the issue with pleas for donations. The idea is to produce a premium publication with interesting stories that pertain to the University, its students, faculty and alumni.

I am very proud of this shot as both assignment photography and the use of multiple strobe lighting is new to me. Its been quite a stretch this past month but I am learning fast.

The shot was staged on campus at a gold leafed Thai pagoda donated by the King of Thailand. The subjects are herbal spiritualists associated with the U and we're doing a story on them for the next issue.

I used two strobes on this shot. Main SB 800 in an umbrella image right, second 800 behind subjects aimed up to illuminate the ornate guilded interior roof. I shot in manual cam & strobe mode adjusting power as required.

The top image is straight from the camera as shot. The bottom is a CS mod I did to bring back some detail in the top of the pagoda that the strobes missed. I like both versions actually.

Tech stuff: Fuji S3 / two SB 800s / 30" Umbrella / Manual strobe & camera modes

Sponsel.

2. I knew it wouldn't take you long, Mike :).

How did you trigger the strobes?

3. Well done Mike and congrats on getting up to speed so quickly.

4. Very nice approach to highlight the Pagoda. Something I learnt today.

Many thanks.

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

Frank we used Pocket Wizards.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Terrific shot Mike, and very creative use of the strobes! You're a natural!

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks Steve, everything I "know" I learned here from guys like you, Frank, Gordon and others. It is very gratifying beginning to sculpt with light. My work is better, way more professional looking. I now feel nekkid without a strobe or two.