a stubborn Caracara

Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
5,525
Location
Viera, Florida
Hi you'll,

The other day I found this Crested Caracara roosting in The Tree (anyone who has shot in the Viera Wetlands know this tree). I took some shots of him while I waited an hour and half for him to fly so I could try for some flight shots. Naturally he never budged from the tree the whole time I was there. He took off the moment I put my gear in the car and started driving away. He had the nerve to land on the road by the exit from the wetlands. I was sorely tempted to floor the gas pedal and run the sucker over but I resisted.

32571367-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


32571371-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


32571373-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


32571356-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,985
Location
Orlando, Florida
I feel your pain, Harry!! He probably knew exactly what you were waiting for and did it deliberately. I hadn't ever seen a Caracara in flight but they sure have a beautiful feather pattern.

Again, I must say that these shots of yours with the 500 are just incredible! I think from now on I'm just going to pass over any of your postings as the temptation is getting too great to resist! ;)
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
4,510
Location
Haverhill, MA
Harry

Oooooh how I know so well what you were experiencing.

Last winter I sat out in the frozen marsh watching a snowy owl for 5 hours.

The minute I got back to the car, the sucker flew to exactly where I had been sitting and now that it was nearing darkness, proceeded to then fly to a telephone pole not 50' from me :)
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
5,525
Location
Viera, Florida
Kevin Scott said:
I feel your pain, Harry!! He probably knew exactly what you were waiting for and did it deliberately. I hadn't ever seen a Caracara in flight but they sure have a beautiful feather pattern.

Again, I must say that these shots of yours with the 500 are just incredible! I think from now on I'm just going to pass over any of your postings as the temptation is getting too great to resist! ;)

Hey Kevin,

He absolutely knew what he was doing. Birds can be evil creaures. Have you ever notice their innate ability to always be back lit?

The 500 is working out pretty good. I can see you have infected with lens lust. You're a goner. I'm beginning to think about the 600. :lol:
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
4,510
Location
Haverhill, MA
Harry

I forgot to mention that these are excellent shots and that I don't like you anymore cause you live so darn close to that mecca!
 
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,985
Location
Orlando, Florida
Harry, maybe what we should do is get together with Gale. Next time he's in the tree, after we get our posed shots, we'll have her lie down on the berm and play dead. Then we should be able to get some cool action shots! :) Gale, you wouldn't mind volunteering, would you?
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
978
Location
Viera Fl
I'll volunteer.
But plastic bags get them really rilled...lolol Remember, Kevin.

That was so funny.

Or we could buy a couple turtles from the pet store .....

Harry,

He did that to us as well.

Great shots.

And yes back lit for sure. Sit in road , oh yeah...
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
5,525
Location
Viera, Florida
Re: Harry

jfenton said:
I forgot to mention that these are excellent shots and that I don't like you anymore cause you live so darn close to that mecca!

I feel your pain with that owl. As I said before birds can be evil creatures.

Thanks for the kind words on the pics and I can understand your feelings about my location. The funny thing is that I didn't know the wetlands existed when I bought the house. You can imagine how happy I was when I found out about this place 15 minutes from the house. :D
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
5,525
Location
Viera, Florida
Kevin Scott said:
Harry, maybe what we should do is get together with Gale. Next time he's in the tree, after we get our posed shots, we'll have her lie down on the berm and play dead. Then we should be able to get some cool action shots! :) Gale, you wouldn't mind volunteering, would you?

Sounds like a capital idea to me. :lol:
 
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Messages
1,311
HarryB said:
Hi you'll,

The other day I found this Crested Caracara roosting in The Tree (anyone who has shot in the Viera Wetlands know this tree). I took some shots of him while I waited an hour and half for him to fly so I could try for some flight shots. Naturally he never budged from the tree the whole time I was there. He took off the moment I put my gear in the car and started driving away. He had the nerve to land on the road by the exit from the wetlands. I was sorely tempted to floor the gas pedal and run the sucker over but I resisted.

32571367-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)



I give up on you. "whine.. i want the 500mm.. whine ....whine... whine" You get it...in record time I might add....and a national geo capture like this and it just isn't good enough...you want him to fly too! :wink: Kinda reminds me of my sister who has to leave her house because the "damn" cleaning lady is there....waa....waa....waaa
:x

J/K you know I love ya! Excellent shots!
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
5,525
Location
Viera, Florida
greyflash said:
Your images of the Caracara are exceptional shots. The first image is really nice. The bird actually looks regal like he thought he was an eagle. Well done.

Thank you Gordon
 

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom