a stubborn Caracara

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Aug 19, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

The other day I found this Crested Caracara roosting in The Tree (anyone who has shot in the Viera Wetlands know this tree). I took some shots of him while I waited an hour and half for him to fly so I could try for some flight shots. Naturally he never budged from the tree the whole time I was there. He took off the moment I put my gear in the car and started driving away. He had the nerve to land on the road by the exit from the wetlands. I was sorely tempted to floor the gas pedal and run the sucker over but I resisted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I feel your pain, Harry!! He probably knew exactly what you were waiting for and did it deliberately. I hadn't ever seen a Caracara in flight but they sure have a beautiful feather pattern.

Again, I must say that these shots of yours with the 500 are just incredible! I think from now on I'm just going to pass over any of your postings as the temptation is getting too great to resist! ;)

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Harry

Oooooh how I know so well what you were experiencing.

Last winter I sat out in the frozen marsh watching a snowy owl for 5 hours.

The minute I got back to the car, the sucker flew to exactly where I had been sitting and now that it was nearing darkness, proceeded to then fly to a telephone pole not 50' from me :)

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Kevin,

He absolutely knew what he was doing. Birds can be evil creaures. Have you ever notice their innate ability to always be back lit?

The 500 is working out pretty good. I can see you have infected with lens lust. You're a goner. I'm beginning to think about the 600. :lol:

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Harry

I forgot to mention that these are excellent shots and that I don't like you anymore cause you live so darn close to that mecca!

6. Harry, maybe what we should do is get together with Gale. Next time he's in the tree, after we get our posed shots, we'll have her lie down on the berm and play dead. Then we should be able to get some cool action shots! :) Gale, you wouldn't mind volunteering, would you?

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I'll volunteer.
    But plastic bags get them really rilled...lolol Remember, Kevin.

That was so funny.

Or we could buy a couple turtles from the pet store .....

Harry,

He did that to us as well.

Great shots.

And yes back lit for sure. Sit in road , oh yeah...

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lololol

I can hear Harry swearing at him from my house ...:>))))))))))

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Re: Harry

I feel your pain with that owl. As I said before birds can be evil creatures.

Thanks for the kind words on the pics and I can understand your feelings about my location. The funny thing is that I didn't know the wetlands existed when I bought the house. You can imagine how happy I was when I found out about this place 15 minutes from the house. :D

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Sounds like a capital idea to me. :lol:

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I may have mutter a few expletives at him. :lol:

12. Your images of the Caracara are exceptional shots. The first image is really nice. The bird actually looks regal like he thought he was an eagle. Well done.

13. Exceptional shots Harry. Really love the action capture in #3. I envy you for those pictures. 8)

14. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    LOL Trish. Sort of sounds like all of us.... :lol:

16. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Beautiful shots, Harry!

17. Incredible shots for sure they are great cant wait to come back down and hang out with you

18. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Gordon

19. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Well, you just can't win, can you Harry

Excellent shots, regardless.

20. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Dao. I'm very lucky because i live so close to the wetlands.