A study of yellowI II....comments and critiques welcome

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Leigh, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Okay, I went back out and tried when the light was a bit different (late afternoon rather than early morning). I took the advice I was given and hopefully I came away with better shots. The first two shots are the same flower, but taken moments apart (first w/sun shining somewhat from behind, second after a cloud passed over).

As before, I still seek advice and guidance...

20199123-L.

20199118-L.

20199117-L.

Thanks for looking...

2. The first one is better than the second, Leigh. The stronger contrast and more vivid colors makes it much more interesting. Personally I would have cropped it more on the top. I'd crop the top off the third too.

You can try it on the screen here and I think you'll see what I mean.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks so much....I too felt the first one had better colors than the second...but I wanted to make sure it wasn't just me! :D

I took your advice and cropped the third one like you suggested and I like the result. I also tried to warm it up a bit so that it was closer to the first shot...what do you think?
    20201223-L.

4. Very nice Leigh. The vibrant yellow colors really come through on your latest try. I like the first image the best especially how the interior of the flower (stigma and stamen) are lit by the light coming through the petals themselves. It is really quite beautiful.

5. Looking good, Leigh!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Oooh, those are nice Leigh. I too like the first where you can see the inside of the flower. I'm proud of you!

7. GO LEIGH! GO LEIGH! GO LEIGH!!! WOW, very nice detail!! :D :D :D :D

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks everyone. I'm really trying hard these days to take pictures that are worth posting. Having the feedback that you all have given has been extremely helpful. I just want you all to know that I really do appreciate it. Thank you so much.

9. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    the first is deffinately a keeper.

10. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Greg. I might just print that one out!

11. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    I like all 3 but the contrast and color of the first are exceptional!

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. Well done Leigh.

The first shot is definately my favourite - great colours !

14. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thank you so much! I guess the concensus is that the first is the best! It was my favorite as well. I guess that means I'm learning?

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Learning! I'd say you're showing us how to do it. Yellow is (well one of) my favorite color. Yet photographing is is so exacting - too bright it flattens out into large areas of no detail, yet just a tad too dark, and it looks like light brown. It's easy to see a good one when you encounter it, yet very difficult (for me at least) to hit it nearly so well as you have here.

Thanks for showing us your exploration.

16. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Chris, you are so kind. I love yellow as well....although I don't know many of Mother Nature's colors I don't like! As you have seen it took me a few tries to get it right, but once I got on the right track w/help from so many of our Cafe members I felt rather pleased. It is extremely gratifying to have help and have find success as a result.

Now, what color do I tackle next?????.....