A Stunninly Beautiful Treat

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Nov 5, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    These birds are very rare where I'm shooting except for about a week in the fall when they're migrating through. I thought I spotted them the other day and yesterday afternoon I set up in some bushes along the edge of the beaver pond and was finally rewarded.

The light varied as it was rather cloudy. These were all shot in HSC and cropped as well.

The final shot of the birds sleeping was because they were pooped from trying to aviod me!

Anyway...I think these hooded mergansers are stunning! (not my shots...the birds!)

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

Attached Files:

2. Looks like pbase is doing its thing again the dread blue question mark, that is what I get when using safari as my browser

3. These are really beutiful birds and its great to see photos of truely wild ones. I have seen captive ones - we have them in the wildfowl collection at Slimbridge - but it is not the same thing as seeing and photographing wild birds. A great piece of work.

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Stunning birds! Also stunning photos!

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Good captures - these birds are a bit on the shy side in my experience.

And you, BTW, seem to feeling a bit better if you can land these shots.

John P.

6. What are these kind of birds??? They look like a sort of duck.

Thanks,

7. Jim, excellent captures of a very elusive duck! They are very shy indeed. These are great photos, esp the sleeping. I love the greyness of the backgrounds except a few splashes of colour from the odd leaf! Excellent!

8. There they are had to come back and check them out great job what a gorgeous bird

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Folks...

I just had to share these. I've always wanted to get shots of these birds and they are soooooooo spooky!

If it's not raining in the morning, I'm going to try and get there before dawn and sit my butt down in the bush and keep my fingers crossed!

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gorgeous birds and shots Jim..
    Great job.

Boy it would be great to see one of those :>)) WOW

Hope your feeling better and will stay feeling better.
    Cheers Pal

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Outstanding captures Jim. :smile:

I just gotta figure out where I can get opportunities like these in my area. I am truly trying. I scouted three N. Alabama Birding Trail designated spots yesterday and didn't see a frickin bird. I love GBH's but after you get several thousand shots of them, you really would like to shoot something else. :rolleyes:

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Your Wrong !!!

Your shots and the birds stunning :wink:

Never seen these before till now, thanks a whole bunch :biggrin:

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful series...WOW, each is a wonderful piece of art!

14. Wow, these are unique birds indeed and you should be the proudest to have managed to captured them so well. Excellent images.

15. Jim these are sure beautiful birds. Congratulations on getting them. We have them here in Seattle in the winter but I have not seen them yet. I can't wait til I do. Thanks for sharing. I hope your health has returned to normal.

16. Good shots Jim. The hoodies are pretty cagey, aren't they - tough to get close.

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Great captures, Jim. They are indeed beautiful birds, but don't sell you images short. I love the last one and your explanation of it!

Gordon

18. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey Folks

You guy and gals are the best and to be honest...your appreciation of my work and mine of yours is what makes it all worthwhile :)

19. Wow! You weren't kidding! This was quite the treat! Very nicely done.