A Successful Birdhouse

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Thos Quinn, Jul 27, 2005.

1. I have admired many of the great images I have seen on this “sub”forum and thought I’d share one of mine for the first time. Criticism/suggestions welcome.

Three years ago I built some shelving with my (then) six-year-old son. We used the scraps to build a birdhouse that we mounted on the side of our cabin. Surprisingly, that very first year as well as the second year a male house wren (Troglodytes aedon) built a “dummy” nest in it. Male house wrens arrive in their breeding territory well before the females and build a number of nests. This may be to show prospective mates how fit they are or possibly to have alternate ready-made nests available should one fail for some reason. I asked the wrens but got no response. Anyway, this year a pair used the house “for real”. I took this shot about a week before they fledged their first brood. They are currently working on a second using the same site. The house is located just below the roof eave and remained in the shade throughout the day except for the few days when the sun was at its lowest summer angle. That’s when I got this shot. I set up my tripod about 20 feet away and waited for one of the parents to visit the nest (you can’t tell male a female wrens apart by plumage). By making a “pishing” sound as the bird was leaving the nest I was able to make it freeze long enough to be able to stop down the aperture more towards the lens’ sweet spot with a rather long shutter speed.

LAB sharpened in PSCS and BTW, for you pixel peepers, yes I did replace the original drab background (the pea soup-green side of my cabin) with a mountain image from my files). I’m not really happy with this posted version but I seem to have problems with my posted versions looking quit a bit worse than the original JPEGS I see prior to posting.

D70; Nikkor 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 D ED
    135mm; f9, 1/13 sec; iso 200, matrix metering; RAW.
    original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    can't see image for some reason. Got the red X :<((

3. OK, I could have sworn I typed in the needed stuff for the image post but all I see is the dreaded red X. Let's try again.

original.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thomas,

First, welcome to the Cafe. If you've been lurking here for a while then you know that we like pretty images (like yours), and we like details and humorous narratives (like yours) along with them. 8)

Nice shot. :wink:

5. Hi Thos/Thomas(?)/Tom, ;)
    I like the shot. I like the colors in it and the lighting and the little guy's kinda cute. My suggestion would be to crop some off the left to avoid him being smack dab in the center. Great stuff....keep posting!

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kevin,

You're quick, but not quick enough. :lol:

7. One word, Frank ............ :p

8. Ya know, I was so enamored with that knot on the left side of the birdhouse that I took the “rule of thirds” to its illogical conclusion :lol: . The knot got the left third, the bird got the middle third, and the background got the right third. Your point is well taken!

As for "Thos"; it is pronounced to rhyme with "toss" with a th sound as in "thing". It is an old family joke from when I was a kid (many, many moons ago) just learning how to alphabetize. I looked up my dad in the phone book (he is the original Thomas, I was a “junior”). I went running to him yelling “there isn’t any Thomas Quinn in the phone book, just ‘Thos’!!!”. Being the jokester he was, that’s all it took and I’ve been “Thos” to my family ever since. So, seein’ as you all seem to want to go on a first name basis, I figured a “Thos” would make things simpler in the sea of Toms in this world.

9. Neat story about your name, Thos! Don't get too concerned about "rules". Sometimes I get anal about them then have to learn to relax a bit. I look back at your image now and kind of like it the way it is. I like the reflection of light on the left side of the house. Then, looking at the picture as a whole, it seems the bird and house take up the left 2/3s of the shot anyway. ;)

Also, I just noticed your little logo in the shot. Way cool!

10. Another childhood thing. I've been doing that TQ "logo" since somewhere around the third grade. I can't wait 'till I grow up (hopefully before I retire in a few years).

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    now i SEEEEEEE,

Great birdie house and birdie :>)))))

Thanks

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Something must be worng here at my place.

Tha birdie ain't smack dab in the middle.......Kevin

Unless you mean the bird house.

13. No, I mean the bird. It looks pretty centered to me. But I've since changed my mind about the composition and like it as it. It has too many other pleasing elements to be bothered and the house dominating the left side of the frame offsets works well.