A Sumo and snobby Cowbird, Blue Jay

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Glacier, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    This is the Cowbird that was raised by Sparrows and she will almost let me touch her before flying off.

First the sumo version:

Where's my @$% food? What was strange was how much bigger her head got when she puffed herself up like this.

[​IMG]

Now the snobby version:

That's not Grey Poupon! And don't forget the caviar next time! Since she was being such a snob I didn't point out that she has dried bird doo-doo on her belly. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

I did a HEAVY cloning/healing brush/patch tool job on this one. I liked the diagonal pose so I spent the time to clean up the lower left part of the frame.

[​IMG]

I think Blue Jays are some kind of pretty so I never pass up an opportunity to photograph one.

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent set Andy. I've got quite a few from brief BYB sessions over the past couple of weeks but just haven't had time to process and post them. It will be hard to top these though, and I don't have nearly as interesting a story. :rolleyes::biggrin:

3. Nice series. I especially like the #3 pic of the Blue Jay. Very well done. That is one bird I have yet to photograph.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice images
    Blue Jays are really beautiful. Can't get the cardinals either .. to dark an area
    I have one coming to my feeder. For one second at at a time.lolol
    Try to photograph that.
    I am not set up in a very good place. Don't have a good place.

5. I like #3 the best as it really show of the color patterning in the Blue Jay.

Next time the cow bird lets you get very close, make a fist but keep your index finger straight. Move this "perch" slowly towards the bird saying "step up" softly, but firmly. You can cheat here and place a little food on your thumb webbing. (We have 4 large pet parrots and this is a comand that falls into the "master of control" category - they are never allowed to disobey
    it.) Who knows.....

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I know better than that!

Thank you. I love the coloring on a Blue Jay.

I know what you mean Gale. I miss a lot more shots than I get because of the "one second rule". One of the two Jays that come around is a perpetual motion machine!

I'll have to try that although I'm not sure I want a pet Cowbird. :tongue: