A swim meet that was as much about life as it was swimming!

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mike mac, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Was a very difficult swim meet Saturday, on Friday morning while driving home from practice one of our senior swimmers was killed in an automobile accident at the tender age of 18. Needless to say the team and parents were in shock and disbelief as the news made its way back to the pool. This is a small club and a very tight knit group of kids and parents so this news was just devastating to everyone. At the Spaghetti dinner on Friday all gathered and the kids kind of formed there own little groups to sit and try to deal with the loss. We had grief counselors there, but the kids leaned one each other and was really quite a remarkable sight seeing how some kids stepped up as the leaders and took turns comforting each other and the young kids. It was discussed and everyone voted and opted to continue with the meet for Saturday morning. It was an emotional weekend for sure with a whole gamut of emotions running through the event.
    If you notice in the shots the kids wore Scott's initials on there arms, the other set of initials are for a teammate they loss two years ago when a bright athletic 14 year old for some unknown reason took his own life. This team has had more that its share of tragedies but has coped with and overcome them every time. They don't realize it now but how they have acted now will help shape their lives for years to come.

Well this is to Scott he was a great kid and will be missed much but remembered even more.

This is one of Scott's best friends, it was a tough day for him to compete but he toughed it out
    original.

Another of Scott's friends, as valiant as an effort there four man relay couldn't make up the loss of Scott both physically and emotionally

original.

Another senior boy who swam over his head fueled by adrenaline and emotion, it is a shame when 18 year old boys have to sit and come to grips with their mortality
    original.

Determination was on all of the swimmers faces throughout the meet
    original.

The girls were more emotional or at least let there emotions show more through the meet but still gave it their all in every race with almost every race ending in tears

original.
    original.
    original.

Then there were the young kids who all looked up to Scott and he was always there for them he was such a leader and always had time for the wee ones when others didn't. The little ones battled every bit as hard and I think some of the older swimmers found comfort in their innocence and smiles
    original.
    original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    This is a great tribute to your kids and thier friends.

I am so sorry.

I have a million words, and can't get a one of them out.

God Bless them all.

Thank You Mike.

Your images tell the story of courage.

3. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Mike,by reading and looking at these and previous posts I think that this is what Scott wanted, continue swimming

Don't know what to say more Be strong the whole team

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The passing of a young person is so difficult to rationalize. To move on with your own life after encountering this type of tragedy seems impossible because you know that someone special is not offered the same privilege. But it is because of good people...whether family, friends or just residents from the area, the wonderful memories of the deceased will live on forever.

Mike, please accept my sincerest expression of sympathy for your loss. I truly hope that the family will be able to cope with the passing of their child. I know that every image that you have ever taken of him/her will be cherished by the family always.

5. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Mike

Thanks for this post and the unfortunate sad news that goes with it.

We had a not too dissimiliar happening here in Australia where a team of road cyclists got taken out by an 18 year old driver coming around the corner on the wrong side of the road. Although this accident happened in Europe, it really touched us back here. One is always left in wonder on what could have been and why ?

6. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Mike,

I'm SO very saddened to hear of this loss, I was a swimming (well actually diving) coach for about 12 years at the age group and high school level (coached soudertonHS and pennridge HS). I Have dealt with the loss of one of my swimmers due to a mountain biking accident.

Dan

7. Mike a wrote a long response to your post but must have pushed the wrong button and dumped it. Suffice it to say that I feel bad for the young man's family and thought it inspirational the way the team responded.