A Swimming Picture

Because of the urging of Crystall I am putting this picture into the forum. It's as picture of me making a 4 1/2 mile swim across the lake we live on in Michigan.

People think this is unusual because I'm 74 in a few weeks and I don't think a thing of it because I plan to do it at least until I"m 90+. I had already done it four times before this time.

My son took this with his little point and shoot Minolta. He was in a support boat beside me and I woudn't let him use my D2X even though he's a college professor. I didn't think he was smart enough to handle it and I sure didn't want to get it wet. So he used the little Minolta and got some good pictures in spite of me :lol:

The swim took 2 hours and 39 minutes and the post processing took three times that long.

Best to you,

Gaye

30932952-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Excellent Gaye,

I have sure been thinking of you.

So glad you made it in great style. Proud of you for sure and sure miss you being around.

Hurry home !!!!!

Excellent image.

Dang, this makes me feel worthless. I get exhausted just thinking about it, and I'm only 33. :roll:

Keep up the hard work. You've definitely got my respect. 8)

Gaye :

Bully for you !!

That's impressive.

Now if I come over there from WI where I'm working right now, will you let me use your D2X ? :p

John P.

Gaye -

Great to hear from you and wonderful to see that you are doing so well! I'm hoping you've gotten lots of great shots at your summer place. We look forward to seeing more. :)

Thanks for being an inspiration to the rest of us. Despite your humble words, we know what an achievement this was for anyone at any age! And working out with the 200-400 clearly helps you get in shape for this kind of swim, doesn't it?

That's definitely inspiring Gaye, thanks for sharing!

Swimming is something I definitely want to learn for the future (Yes I can't swim :()

Hi and thanks to you all for your nice comments!

And any of you can come over and use my D2X because I know you know how to use it. It's amazing how possessive I am of that camera.

I just wish I'd had one of you in my support boat with my camera and lenses. Next time we'll work that out :lol:

My son had a great sense of capturing the early morning light. Here's another picture that I like.

Thanks again,

Gaye

30932963-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gaye,

Congratulations again! I am so proud of you and thank you for posting your image and sharing your story! You are truly an inspiration to everyone. :wink:

Smack dab between the Wolverines and the Spartans
You rock, Gaye!! I'm not a swimmer, but I am an avid runner, bike-rider and yoga and Pilates practitioner....I hope I'll still be doing all of those things for decades to come! You're an awesome role-model for women everywhere, and I'm glad you shared your picture!

About the second picture, I think your son did great taking that image with a P&S.

If you hadn't told me, I would've assumed you took that picture with your D2X.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Wow! Gaye, I salute you.

This gives me inspiration to continue training for my first marathon. Thanks.

Hi Gaye,

Well, the rest of our friends who have posted before me have pretty much said it all!!! Congratulations on finishing what you set out to do. Many people can only want to do what you have accomplished, I tip my hat to you in praise!!! :wink:

G

GaryW

Wow, Gaye. I'm impressed !

I tried that once, but I couldn't keep my cigarette lit, so I had to quit.

Hi and thanks to you all,

I had no idea when I started this thread that you'd come back with such sincere and touching responses.

It never occurred to me that my swimming feat would inspire anyone. Your responses tell me that I"ve helped you somewhat but you've helped me much more.

You've been an inspiration to me for sure!

Thank you very much,

Gaye

GJ, you're one of a kind, that's for sure!

To do a 4 1/2 mi swim an ANY age is difficult at best, and to do it when you're in your 70's nothing nothing short of astounding! Not an ounce of flab on those arms! Way to go!!! Good to hear from you again too! Hope we can find a way to meet up this winter sometime!

4 1/2 miles = Wow

That is quite a distance, I know because the most I have ever swum in a single go is 2 kms

I'm a keen swimmer too, spring is coming along here and I'm about to start getting back into training.

Again, that is a real feat - well done !

Way to go girl, I wonder what Nikon will be used to capture your crossing when you are 90 :wink:
I am truly impressed now I can see how you were handholding the 200-400 in a posted picture a while ago

Latest threads

Top Bottom