A/T Tires

I have B.F. Goodrich AT/KO's on my Dodge Ram 4x4, they are excellent in every way. My friend who is a manager at a Discount Tire says that the rubber compound has been changed and the quality is no longer the same. He now prefers the Yokohama brand, but I do not recall which model specifically.
I can't get more than 25-30k miles out of a set, however they're on a 3/4ton diesel pickup pushing 500hp 800 ft lbs.

BFG AT's for a do everything tire. Unfortunately, a do everything tire is such a compromise. After running my subaru with winter tires in the winter (Hakka RSi), and summer tires in the summer (Potenza re-01r), I would NEVER go back to a do it all tire. My forester will go through as much snow/mud as any truck until it got hung up on the frame.

BFG AT's for a do everything tire. Unfortunately, a do everything tire is such a compromise. After running my subaru with winter tires in the winter (Hakka RSi), and summer tires in the summer (Potenza re-01r), I would NEVER go back to a do it all tire. My forester will go through as much snow/mud as any truck until it got hung up on the frame.
Agree. When someone tells you a tire is good in the snow, you have to look and see where they are from to put it in perspective. I run two sets for both my year round vehicles. Gas mileage in the summer, traction in the winter.

I had 40" of snow fall at my place last December alone, how much snow did you have? I've had little to no problems with anywhere from 1" to 20" (didn't try to drive in deeper) with the BFG AT on my Suburban, including driving on hills. Ice might be different, we don't really get icy roads up here very much, certainly not like some parts of the country get.

I have BFG AT/KOs on my landrover. Excellent tires for everrything except deep snow and really icy roads. I would highly recommend them.

Before that I had a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATs which were also really good on the road but lacked a bit of traction in the snow and mud. They would also be a really good tire for mostly road use.

Another vote for the BFG AT/KO's. Great in rain and offroad on the rocks but not so great in mud (which I'm not a fan of anyhow), about 30k miles on mine and still have lots of tread even with the rock rash, noise is not a problem.

Mike

Just a tip to increase the life of your tyres (tires in US) and this is good for normal car tyres also.

Rotate the tyres every 5000 KLM or 4000 miles and rotate them by moving the 2 rear tyres straight to the front and then move the 2 front tyres to their opposite sides to the rear but it only applies to "non directional tyres".

PS i've been doing wheel alignments for the past 38 years.

Also pay close attention to tire pressure. Many people neglect it and their tire wear suffers.

You can learn a lot by analyzing the wear patterns of your tires.

Bald in the middle? Overinflated.
Bald on both side? Underinflated.
Bald on the inner side? Too much camber (alignment is off)
Worn in scalloped patterns or other odd or very fast wear? Toe is probably off (alignment)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom