A/T Tires

Real Name
Mike
I need new tires for my truck. I've been running Bridgestone Dueler Revos and love them, except for the way they have worn and the road noise (the more they wore, the noisier they got). I want an A/T tire that has great wet road traction and good tread for snow and off-road when needed. I also want it to be quiet on the street and long wearing. Any recommendations and/or experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like Goodrich AT/KO. Used to run them on my Wrangler. You're never going to get a truly quiet tire that meets your requirements.

I put Toyo tires on my Yukon XL when the stock AT tires got thin. I did NOT install the AT version, but I'm so pleased with them that I'm happy to pass on reports from 5-6 people I've met who say that the Toyo AT tires are also very good.

I had the Toyos re-balanced a couple of months ago, at a dealer who did not sell Toyos. He said, "they are a phenomenal tire". He was amazed that mine had nearly 30,000 miles on them. They're supposed to go 100,000 km (about 62,000 miles) and it's looking like they'll easily do that.

I got over 60,000 miles out of a set of BFG AT/KO on my Suburban. They worked great in the snow and I didn't notice any wet road problems (we have a lot of wet roads in the Seattle area). They worked well enough I just put another set on last month, they're much better than the Bridgestone Dueler APT tires they replaced.

I got over 60,000 miles out of a set of BFG AT/KO on my Suburban. They worked great in the snow and I didn't notice any wet road problems (we have a lot of wet roads in the Seattle area). They worked well enough I just put another set on last month, they're much better than the Bridgestone Dueler APT tires they replaced.

Couldn't remember what was the stock tire on my truck, but you nailed it: Bridgestone Dueler APT. Those tires really sucked. They gave a hard ride, were noisy, and wore quickly. Night and day compared to the Toyos. Even though my Toyos are not A/T, those I've met who have the A/Ts say they're very quiet and smooth-riding too.

Try HERE This is an excellant website. All consumer rated tires for every type of driving and every type of vehicle. Well worth looking in to. As a Journeyman Mechanic, I highly recommend it. I have nothing to do with this site and I dont pull wrenches anymore but if anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them.

I used to run Goodyear Wrangler MT tires on my Jeep Rubicon. I liked them so much that when I upgraded my Jeep with a lift kit and a bigger tire/wheel combo, I stuck with them. I had used all-terrain tires of other types, and while they worked quite well off road, my Jeep/Blazer/truck (whichever I was driving at the time) would be howling as I drove on the pavement. The Goodyear M/Ts were much quieter, were more or less thorn proof (very nice around the nasty mesquite bushes in West Texas), and provided excellent traction. They also worked very well in the torrential rainstorms I often saw in South Florida. They also work quite well in snow, and will take studs if you need to use them.

I've got Yokohama Geolandar ATS on my Ford Expedition. I haven't used them on the ice and snow up here in Ontario, Canada--I have snow tires for that--but they are wonderful on wet surfaces. They don't seem to know what hydroplaning is and they stop very well on wet roads. I'm not sure how good they are for tire life. I was told not to expect a lot but I've got an 8 year old SUV and I use snow tires in winter so they should outlast the truck.

Bruce

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
yokohama supper digger first two set of tires on toyota 4wd, loved them, great life.

bought a dodge Ram PU 4wd: had Goodyear Wrangler AT/S for two sets, 40,000 each set, most aggressive AT I could fine that had a good snow rating. Very very nice in mud too, almost like a mud tire, good sidewall strength, never had a rock flat or problem with them from Alaska to the the southwest at Moab. Great noise levels for hwy too, pretty darn quiet, discontinued this year, was going to buy a third set.

moving to new duratrac AT from goodyear,

I also have to the Revos on my z71 Tahoe, I like them but i think i am going to try something different. i have heard lots of good about the nitto line.

Real Name
Mike
Try HERE This is an excellant website. All consumer rated tires for every type of driving and every type of vehicle. Well worth looking in to. As a Journeyman Mechanic, I highly recommend it. I have nothing to do with this site and I dont pull wrenches anymore but if anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them.

Yea, I've been using Tire Rack to do some comparisons. Kinda looking at the Revo 2. Like I said, Ilove the Revos I have except for the noise increase with wear. The Revo 2 seems like a good combination of everything.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've looked at everything mentioned.

Guest-004

I've run nitto terra grapplers on a f-250 diesel towing, and they are great, prob. will 45-50k miles which is rare on such a heavy truck. The truck also is chipped w/ all kinds of performance stuff so the tires have smoked a few times. Overall great tire, great load rating, great traction in the rain, snow pretty good, mud good.

I want an A/T tire that has great wet road traction and good tread for snow and off-road when needed. I also want it to be quiet on the street and long wearing.

LOL....OK!

I want Jessica Alba to be madly in love with me and also be an excellent cook!

Second on the Tire Rack reviews. I ended up buying Kumhos and Generals, two brands completely off my radar, based on there recommendations and was very happy.

As they say, YMMV, but I have never had any problems with Michelin truck tires at all. I sold a 1979 Ford pickup with 350,000 miles on it and would get 90,000 miles out of the Michelin LT rires I used. No rebalancing, no noise, good wet traction yada yada yada.

I run 35" BFG A/T's on my truck, they are quite noisy, but they look good. I don't think there is a quiet street a/t tire. BFG's are pretty good in the mud and snow.

I don't know much about the other brands, but the BFG AT/KO have three ply side wall and bead protection. Wear like iron (mine saw extensive rock crawling, which is extreme usage) and had 57k on the last set when I got rid of the Jeep. Real good in snow, but not in the clay mud which we have here in Mo. they'd load up and then you basicaly were running slicks. Gotta get mud tires if you want to go mudding.

I have B.F. Goodrich AT/KO's on my Dodge Ram 4x4, they are excellent in every way. My friend who is a manager at a Discount Tire says that the rubber compound has been changed and the quality is no longer the same. He now prefers the Yokohama brand, but I do not recall which model specifically.

The shop down the road from me is pushing the Yokohama brand. I was buying new tires for my pickup, wound up sticking with the Goodyear Wrangers, the Yokohama were pricy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom