A Tablet with CF, SD or USB Slot?

I'm thinking of purchasing a tablet computer, mainly for storing/displaying images that I've taken. I already own a Nook Color, which has a nice 7" screen (an ideal size IMO), but loading images is a pain (it has to be connected to your computer and be transferred via mini-USB) and there's currently no way to organize them the way you want.

AFAIK, the iPad also doesn't have a "direct way" to transfer images. (Have to go thru iTunes, which I hate, or purchase an add-on Camera-Connection kit?) I also don't like the iPads' size (too large).

So, can anyone recommend a tablet which is about 7 inch in size, has a nice responsive high res screen, and has either a CF slot, SD slot or real-size USB connection that would recognize a USB card reader to transfer images over without connecting to a PC?

Thanks!

Have you rooted your NC? Rooting opens up all sorts of possibilities.
Haven't had the guts to, although I've considered it. I'm waiting to see what B&N will be offering with their promised update in the next few weeks before deciding whether to do it.

Either way, the NC still doesn't have the CF, SD or USB slots though.....

Are you wanting to pull images straight out of your camera and go into the tablet?

MicroSD -> SD adapters aren't that big of a pain, and rooting (which is ridiculously easy) will let you have a real gallery on the NC.

FYI - It's easy on the iPad, but I recognize that you're wanting something smaller. Doesn't the Galaxy tab have an SD slot?

UPDATE: No, it doesn't. The Nokia N800 does.

SD would be nice, but eventually, it'll all be in the cloud. USB's not necessary since we have WiFi. I'd rather have NFC.

Check out the asus transformer. It comes in 16gb or 32gb...has usb and sd slots, and according to best buy, before they took the link down, it will be $400 (16gb). For an additional $150 you can get a keyboard and trackpad. Should be out in a week or so. Sorry no links...im doing this from my phone.

That doesn't have anything to do with what he's asking.

Instead of worrying what tablet to get by choosing what ports to get, if his plan is to store them on the device for display, it's better to store them online, and pull them onto the device through the various apps that link to these pages/hosts.

This way, the real organization can be done on the device OR his home workstation. Also consider that if you're getting a tablet, there's an entire ecosystem behind it as a connected device. Why not take advantage of the new services and capabilities introduced in a booming software market?

If you want something around that size, the Galaxy 8.9. OP, if your use is to display photos, why the smaller display? Wouldn't a bigger one like on the iPad or Xoom be better?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, if your use is to display photos, why the smaller display? Wouldn't a bigger one like on the iPad or Xoom be better?
Well, I guess that you read my mind then. Two weeks ago, I just decided to bite the bullet and bought an iPad 1 and the camera connection kit. There's a fairly easy workaround to transfer post-processed photos to the iPad thru the CC kit, and I've been quite pleased with the set-up so far.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Well, I guess that you read my mind then. Two weeks ago, I just decided to bite the bullet and bought an iPad 1 and the camera connection kit. There's a fairly easy workaround to transfer post-processed photos to the iPad thru the CC kit, and I've been quite pleased with the set-up so far.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
There's also a third party CF reader that essentially is just like the SD dongle. I have to admit, seeing this new accessory put the iPad back on my radar (sort of)...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom