A Tern Fishing ....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 9, 2007.

1. I don't know about the rest of you, but summer colds just have to be about the most annoying thing in the world. Hit me Friday, but I took a couple hours yesterday afternoon late to go down to the Osprey nest to see how the chicks are doing. They are fine, eating like pigs and being obnoxious, I'll post some of those later.

But, I did get really lucky with a Tern that was far enough away to be able to track as it dove on a fish, but close enough that it wasn't just a fly speck in the viewfinder. It is tough enough to follow most of these birds in flight, but following them as they dive is even worse, they sure do drop quickly. Here are a few, the rest can be found Here.

I SEEEEE You!!!:
    [​IMG]

Into the Dive:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready to Hit the Water:
    [​IMG]

And then, the moment we all want, the bird entering the water ....

SPLASHDOWN!!!:
    [​IMG]

Well, you can see the splash if you look real close. Why, oh WHY, did the darned bird have to hit the water behind this rotten piece of "stuff"?????? I think they do it on purpose .... :mad::mad::mad:

Flying off with ..... nothing????:
    [​IMG]

And after all that, unless it was a little fish that it ate while hidden, it doesn't look like it's going home with much anyway.

2. Very nice in deed. . . BUT. . I don't count that as "getting a splash." :) I'll give you half a splash.

BTW, when are you going to post your "eagle upside down shot?"

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Bill
    The last one looks like a teeeny weeny fishy he caught

4. That's a great series Bill and to funny for sure, we have all been there....

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I had to laugh with you on this one. The moment of truth and something is in the way. I know that feeling all too well. You have some very nice images to make up for that one though!

6. Oh yes, That sure does tell the story!! I guess humor comes from honest experiences:eek::wink: