A test drive with Capture NX-D

Out of curiosity as much as anything, I downloaded version 1.2.1 of Capture NX-D to give it a test drive with RAW files from my D3s.

I bought DxO Optics Pro last fall to use with my sports photos, shot mostly at night or in low light. But I’ve been using Capture NX2 to process shots from my hiking trips this summer.

Those of you who have complained are certainly correct—Capture NX-D is not a replacement for Capture NX2. But it’s not as bad as I thought it might be.

As a RAW processor front end to Photoshop, I would say that it is at least adequate, and I like the results much better than Photoshop’s Camera Raw. In my experience, it has transferred files to Photoshop seamlessly, and I don’t think it has crashed on me (Mac Pro at work running OS X 10.9.5).

The basic adjustment controls seem to work well. My biggest complaint is that the D-Lighting function is poor (in my opinion) compared to NX2.

I upsize files occasionally, and I found that NX-D does that well, much better than DxO.

I’ve only dabbled with control points (they are pretty cool even though I’ve only scratched the surface), but I can see how those of you who rely on them are miffed about their absence in NX-D.

I haven’t upgraded either camera or computer at home (still running Snow Leopard), so NX-D won’t run on the home machine. But if and when either or both are upgraded, I won’t be afraid of using NX-D when that time comes.

Based on what I’ve read, I think the software is improved from initial release. Hopefully, the folks at Nikon will continue to make it better for us.

Andy

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know it is an option for NX 2 refugees.

I tried it a couple of months or so ago and deleted it within 3 hours. Just hated it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom