A test with the 17-55mm

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by daodang, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Trying to see how this lens controls glare when shooting directly into the sun and at the same time putting in practice some lessons learned on landscape photography composition.

Critiques and advices are most welcome.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. It's a little hard to pull this off effectively Doa without a split ND filter unless you want silhouette's. In the case of this image you have washed out the color on the tree when you tried to recover if from darkness. I would try to hide the sun a little bit more with the trunk or large branches on the tree. You just want it to peek out. Other than that it is a pretty effective image.

4. I like this one.
    very nice capture

well done

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Next time, don't hide the sun in the foliage. Then you get the answer that this test picture hides.

6. Thanks a lot, Gordon. I will try your advices tomorrow afternoon ... if the weather can be fair (cross my fingers).

7. Hi Bjorn, thank you for the advice. I will do the test again. I figure running after two rabbits at the same time, one will catch neither one :redface:.

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I could show you a number of "nice" images ruined by sun ghosts and flare using the 17-55. However, once you are aware of the propensity of this lens for these issues, you can work around them.

9. That's the purpose of my tests. I try to find out to what extent I can have the sun «around» the field of view that the glare and sun ghosting don't ruin my pictures. Hence, I will know this lens limits for these issues and use it properly (I hope so).

If you allow me, may I ask for some advices regarding how to work properly with this lens.

Thanks for your posts.

10. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Daodang,

Very interesting compositon. It works for me !

Regards

RFC

11. Thanks a lot for your appreciations, Robert

12. Dao, I shoot with this lens a lot and my only advise would be to not let the sunlight itself strike the lens. I always use the lens shade and have even asked others for assistance in using their hand to shade the lens.

13. Gordon, thanks a lot for the advice.

With this lens, I think I will need another surgery. This time not for the eyes, but to implant 2 or more arms and hands:smile: