1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A thought on pictures sizes

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by olshroom, Aug 9, 2009.

1. The Nikon camera's ( at least mine) offer 3 sizes of photo's, Small, Meduim and Large. Regardless of what size photo you crop using a 8x10 crop, they all crop to exactly the same spot. It would be great if Nikon offered the fourth option of the camera taking a 8x10 photo. This way when you crop (if you have to) you will still have an 8x10 photo. Sometimes trying to get everything into your 8x10 crop of the regular sizes is impossible,

2. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    The D3 does offer a 4:5 crop menu for 8x10 inch prints, also shown by the viewfinder.

On the D300, you have to know to leave unused room at the ends to crop to fit 8x10.

Think of it this way. The D300 frame shape is 3:2, which is same as 6:4.

The 8x10 is 5:4. 6:4 is longer than 5:4 by 1/6 or about 16%, or 8% on each end. The D300 viewfinder shows the two curved half circles indicating focus area. This 8x10 crop width is ever so slightly just inside the outer extent of those half circles. So just keep your 8x10 inch picture inside the extent of those half circles when you frame it.

Yeah, having some real lines would be better, but this is what we have.

3. i prefere to print 12 x 8.

4. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    It would be nice if the picture frame manufacturers picked up on the logical extension that if most photo developers are producing 4x6 prints (and that there are tons of frames for 4x6 prints) then the next step would be 8x12 and that they would make frames in that size. Where I live it's very hard to find 8x12 frames but everyone and their dog sells 8x10s. I was talking about this with another photographer the other day and she suggested that maybe it's a holdover from medium format days when the negatives were 4x5. Could that be it and the frame makers haven't clued in yet?

5. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    To me, it usually seems much easier (fewer problems) to crop 3:2 to 8x10" than it is to crop compact camera 4:3 to 4x6". My wifes compact even shows a darkened mask to mark 3:2 on her LCD viewfinder, and I explain and explain why she should watch that, but I still end up faced with an impossible crop on her stuff (trying to print 6x4"). Her notion is that the automatic camera does everything for her, and I will fix the rest, so she doesnt need to pay any attention. :) 

6. Joves

Joves

Feb 10, 2009
    Nowhereland
    Well in respects it is automatic for her. She shoots the pic and, you fix it. :biggrin:

7. Well it must be a cultural thing, here in Australia there are a heap of A4 (basically 12x8) frames available. At the cheapie stores you can usually pick up a glassed A4 frame for $2.50, gotta love the Chinese:biggrin:

8. This has always been the big buggaboo with the 3:2 aspect ratio. I actually thought of going with the Olympus system due to the easier way the 4:3 fits closer to 5:4 for standard enlargements, but, in the end, I passed on that idea.

I actually find 12x18 is a nice size for larger and uncropped blow-ups, I can ususally make something work to fit 8x10 if I am careful, but I will always find 3:2 to be a bit of a pain.

Shooting slides was so much easier - no cropping except in-camera.:smile:

9. Add to that the 16x24 frame missing from shelves. Although I can find them online, it would be nice to just pick them up locally since shipping is typically a pain with a large item such as that. The stores usually have a section of "odd-sized" frames (10x10, 12x18, etc) but they never include 8x12 or 16x24. If those are not normal or odd, then what in the world do they consider them?

10. Danny
    I know what you mean about frames that are difficult to find. We can get print paper that is 13x19 for our printers but frame stores don't carry frames for that size.

Cropping photos can be easy or difficult. It depends on what you are going to do with the final photo. If you are going to just keep the photo's on your computer or have the prints custom framed or matted no problem. I enter my photo's in different judging events. The photo prints have to be 8x10!! This is where the difficulty with cropping occurs. The photo below in its original size is 8.6 x 12.9. The clear/lighter part of the photo is where a 8x10 crop stops. The dark area is what you are going to lose with this crop which includes part of a photo on the wall. Having a camera option of taking a photo that is 8x10 would be great. I guess the bottom line is to learn what to or not to include in the camera frame so a crop would not pose a problem

[​IMG]

11. You would think that someone would try to sell 8x12 frames, but they are hard to find.
    But the 4:5 ration crop in the D3 is nice until then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.