A tough choice...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BourbonCowboy, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I'm about to have a camera converted to IR. My problem is that I'm not sure which one to convert. I've got a D50, D100, and I just picked up a D70s - all with less than 4k clicks.

If I convert the D100, I can keep either the D50 or D70s as a backup/travel camera and sell one to cover the cost of the conversion. The D100 has the grip and an L-bracket for easy tripod use.

If I convert the D70s, I could sell the D100 package, and keep the D50 as a backup/travel camera. I've had a D70 converted before, and was pleased with it before I stupidly sold it.

If I convert the D50, I could sell the D100 package, keep the D70s as a backup/travel camera (since it uses CF cards). I'm not too concerned about the different card formats, since I've got plenty - and a Hyperdrive HD80 for storage.

My original plan was to convert the D100. Maybe I'm just tired and overthinking this. Whaddya think?

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    IMO
    keep the D50 as backup, I have one still for the same reason,it is a great little walk around with the best higher ISO of the bunch for sure

convert the D70

sell the D100

3. I agree with Frank, The high ISO of the 50 would make it my backup. Convert the 70. Keep the 100 just because.
    Tim

4. what is a D-100 worth these day, (No I am not asking this to be a smart$#@) Just curious on the value of this great Nikon camera. I do not see many for sale? Lots of 200's. ..

5. I was hoping this was going to be the tough choice between Barrel proof and and 90 proof bourbon :biggrin:

I would convert the D100 because I prefer it's menu, handling, two custom menus, etc. While I have never handled a D50 I would strongly consider it for it's reported high ISO capibility and all around performance. I used a D70 for a while and didn't really like it so I sold it. JMO.

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I've read that the D70 makes a very good IR camera. Personally, I converted my D100. It always seemed somewhat noisy, fuzzy or ??? Anyway, the D100 works fine as an IR camera. Are you using Life Pixels?

7. Thanks for the ideas. I'm leaning toward converting the D100 and keeping the D50 as a backup. But before I do, I'm going to test the D70s and D50 to find out what, if any, difference exists in high-ISO noise.

Just my thoughts right now.

BTW, Karen...I might use Lifepixel, but I'm leaning toward Southern Exposure. They get their filters from Lifepixel and offer a better rate for the conversion.