A trend towards Canon...

If you check out the For Sale forum, you'll find some very staunch Nikon users changing camps. They're selling some great gear, so it creates a nice buying opportunity, but I hate to see folks succumbing to the hype. Canon isn't perfect any more than Nikon is, so unless these folks have very specialized needs, they're just trading one set of problems for another.

Sad to see, but maybe I'll score a few fine lenses :wink:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
John DeSanto
You know and I know...

it ain't the camera. (I gotta believe old Ansel Whatizname would've gotten great images with a Brownie box camera.)

It is always tempting to look at what else is available, be it cameras, cars or wives.:eek: But, I do believe that within Nikon's stable of lenses and cameras, we do have a fine assortment to choose from. My only lust for the Canon equipment is their ability to deliver better high ISO jpegs straight out of the camera. I know that the diehards will call me out on this, saying that RAW is the only way to shoot, and in some instances, when I have the time for example, I agree. The trend for volume work and quick turn around, much like fast food restaurants, is to go 100% jpeg fine with as little post processing as possible, for that matter, just to get the images out of your camera and onto a disc.
I don't say that I am that rough with my post processing, but I do like fast turn around for volume work. Canon definitely has an answer there for sport and photo journalists, which is where my niche is. My answer to this instead of buying Canon and having a sale on my lenses as well as having to pay shipping from Australia over to Uncle Frank's garage, was to step back in time and buy one of Nikon's finest sports cameras, the D1h, with small, fast and easily worked files that are clean, straight out of the box. The D2x with HSC is no slouch either when there is good light and I can keep it down to below ISO 400.
I must state that I am a noise freak, can't stand it, but that is just me.
I for-see a see-saw future between Canon and Nikon bodies. With every step of technological advancement, and different release dates by the various manufacturers, we will see a new advantage in one company's camera and then another in it's competition. We will all be the better for it as it makes our lives easier. Think about the days that we had meat safes hanging in the shade of a tree, then a fridge with an ice box to cool it, then kerosene fridges....and then heat exchange using gases with peculiar characteristics that delivered the modern electric refrigerator. I for one think progress is good in most areas, cameras included.

I think its funny that Nikon seem to be the best seller in Japan, yet theres lots of talk of peeps going to canon, via Minolta I went the other way. I had a 300d but it annoyed me with its not being ready for action when I turned it on and the ergonomics on the D100 and D70 cams I shoot with is vastly superior. I can see with the mega` bucks cameras canons hhave things that none else offers ut they certainly have it sussed in the bottom end where al lot more money is there to be made. Yeah the grass is always looking greener on the other side. I love my Nikons and to think if it wasnt for a mistake my wife made for my birthday id probably own a 10D now. But no I have ended up with 7 film bodies and 2 digital and I certainl could no have got any as cool as the FE in canon!!

it ain't the camera. (I gotta believe old Ansel Whatizname would've gotten great images with a Brownie box camera.)

Actually, he was all about the dark room. Thats what made him photos look amazing. Yes, his eye was needed for the photo, as well as his exposure design, but what you see is a the work of a darkroom GENIUS. This is why nobody can go back and duplicate his work.

R

Removed User 2

I couldn't care less as to who is switghing camps. Just can't buy talent. That's the bottom line.

I've been doing alot of wedding photography lately and the ISO noise issue has me thinking about switching camp myself. Either that or picking up a S5 to go with my D200.

Every wedding photographer I run into uses a Canon and sometimes I just feel like I'm just hoping for a new Nikon model that will never come.

I'm not switching, at least not for a few years. I was just off loading a lot of equipment. It had nothing to do with the name on the camera or lens, just selling stuff that was not getting used (D2Xs, D2h, F5, 12-24mm, 28-70mm, 70-200mm, 300mm VR and a 50mm). Now I'm in the market to pick up the 18-200mm and put that on my D200 and call that good for the year I'm out of the states.

I've been doing alot of wedding photography lately and the ISO noise issue has me thinking about switching camp myself. Either that or picking up a S5 to go with my D200.

Every wedding photographer I run into uses a Canon and sometimes I just feel like I'm just hoping for a new Nikon model that will never come.

I've gotta admit, the D80 body I used on the last wedding i shot really disappointed me... pretty badly actually. Bad to the point that i was searching high ISO (1600) sample photos because i thought the body might have been bad.... it wasn't.

My D70 handles noise significantly better, I'm just glad i got it fixed.

What I don't understand is why aren't more people moving (back) to film?

:biggrin:

I shot my last wedding in film (all 100iso) and it was 10X better color than I've seen from anyones digital in a long time...especially my own. It just looked so damn good, and getting the prints was so easy (I work my own lab). No editing..no nothing. The only crappy part was scanning them in for their web gallery...damn they look bad! lol

My next wedding I'm doing digital only because I was asked. And I am DEFINATELY not switching. I would get a 5D (in addition to my gear) if I was doing studio work more often, but that would only be b/c of the larger sensor for better tones. In the field, the Canon controls are so damn cumbersome (I use a 1D for PJ work). Just selecting focus points is REDICULOUS. Changing your ISO on the fly is nearly impossible, and it is so easy to just screw up. Nikons really just have it right. If only they could adopt the Digic III design and the dual memory card idea.

I've gotta admit, the D80 body I used on the last wedding i shot really disappointed me... pretty badly actually. Bad to the point that i was searching high ISO (1600) sample photos because i thought the body might have been bad.... it wasn't.

My D70 handles noise significantly better, I'm just glad i got it fixed.

That's really quite amazing and certainly goes against all current testing and reviews. I like the D70 but surely would never use it in lieu of the D80 for high ISO applications.

Switching doesn't necessarily indicate that someones always looking for greener grass, or needing to have the "latest greatest". I have reached the point where I want/need more resolution than my D2H affords me, and so last week I purchased a D2Xs. I was so disappointed in the performance of that camera that I returned it. My disappointment was all the greater because that camera has everything in terms of features I hoped for.
Now, I can either try another (the first had issues confirmed by the store), wait for at least another 3/4 year for the D3 to be released and in the stores, hopefully with most of the bugs ironed out, or...buy Canon.
True, I would lose some $ while I part with some of my lenses, but I definately won't be selling my H and at least 2 of the fabulous Nikon lenses I have.
When it comes to photography, it is true that great photos can be achieved with just about any camera, but that's really not the issue. The truth is, we all strive to not only improve on the quality of our images artistically, but also to optimise the quality of our images in a technical sense with the gear we buy. Frankly, if the recent focusing issue with the MKIII is corrected, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't buy it. Being so close (I presume) to a Nikon announcement concerning their next "latest/greatest" may prompt me to hold off making a decision, but many months will likely roll by while I wait and I'm not convinced that will be prudent for me. Unlike many shooters who need High ISO/low-noise capability, that's really not of much interest to me. I want higher resolution, and contemporary features in a D2 or similar body. At this moment, it seems to me, the best choice is either a MKII or III.

Canon has a few lenses that would make me very happy if Nikon had equivelants of. But other than that the marginal difference between high ISO's I don't find the 2 camera makes to be radically different from each other at all. The big hype over Canon right now seems to be the lead it has over the Ultimate Pro DSLR release. That could completely flip around soon, or even itself out (more likely).

I just wish Nikon would hurry up and release some f1.2 and possibly an f1.0 af-s Prime! (50mm would be all I need!)

D

Dave_Canada

I have both Nikon and Cannon and I still chose my d70s over the 10mp eos its just not set up for manual shooting like the Nikon.
The only feature I would like to see on Nikon is the self cleaning sensor and I also cant see the quality between the cmos and ccd sensors.

Latest threads

Top Bottom