1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A tribute to a Fallen Brother

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by EdMac, Sep 9, 2008.

1. We lost an older member to cancer last week, and I shot the final tribute of the fire company. He was a WWII veteran, so there was also a military ceremony, and he was buried in our county veterans cemetery. I am still using my D200 with the 17-55 lens. I have a D300, but the D200 is still my favorite for photojournalism work. Here are some of my shots. Comments welcome as always.

366232363_8RhC2-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

366233860_irUc7-L.jpg

366234502_ZaFhn-L.jpg

366235054_8uAsZ-L.jpg

366236009_bRi63-L.jpg

366245308_JVFow-L.jpg

2. these are very touching, Ed
    may Ed D. rest in peace
    what a wonderful tribute to his life

Ed.....
    why do you like the D200 more than the D300, by the way?

3. Thanks Greg.
    I guess there are several reasons. First of all, I seem to be able to get sharper pictures with mine. It probably means that I need more practice with the D300. Also, I have the D200 preset for my fire photography so that I can just grab it and run. There is usually not much time for adjusting settings during a fire call. I am always experimenting with the D300, so I never know what mode it might be in when I pick it up. Finally, I don't want to risk damage to the D300 on a fire call.The D200 has become an old friend LOL:smile:

4. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Ed,

A very moving series of images. Thanks for posting it :) 

5. Sorry for your fire company's loss. Is that the Gloucester County Veterans Cemetery, both my mom and dad are buried there. The ladder trucks with the flag is just an outstanding gesture!

6. Hi,
    Thanks for the nice words.:smile:

7. Hi Gary,
    Thank you. Yes it is the Gloucester County Veterans Cemetary. Where did your parents live in the county? We are in the process of transitioning from our oul ladder to our new Pierce, so we had the luxury of having both trucks.:smile:

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Was he also a Cafe members?

9. Hi Seneca,
    No, I am afraid not. He was just an old man who had been very active with our fire company.:smile:

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My sincerest condolences to our brother's family, friends and your fire company.

11. Hi Frank,
    He was my friend for many years. In fact he was chief just before I joind in the early 70s. Thanks for your kind thoughts.
    BTW, that is our new Pierce tower on the left. What a piece of equipment. It just went on line, and this was it's first assignment.

12. Ed, I grew up in Woodbury Heights but moved to the Seattle area back in 1983. Now my wife and I are retired, living in a motorhome traveling this great country about 11 months a year. My mom was in the Navy and died last year in February and my dad, a Marine, died in April of the same year. I was able to bury him in full dress blues. The Marine honor guard was there, he would have loved it.

13. Hi Gary,
    It sure is a small world isn't it. Enjoy your retirement. I spent 35 years with GE aerospace and then 10 with Lockheed. I still live in my home, but have a summer place in the Cape May area. It is a great place for bird photography. I do fire scene photography for the local volunteer fire company. I am too old to go fight fires anymore LOL.
    The Gloucester County Veterans Cemetary has turned out to be a beautiful place, and a real asset to Monroe Township.
    Thanks for all of your comments

14. He was more than that. A WW2 vet makes him a hero in my eyes.

15. You are absolutely correct. I did not mean to make lite of his past. He did fight in the Battle of the Bulge during WWII. That makes him a hero in my eyes as well.:smile:

16. Excellent photography and a great tribute to your passing brother.
    I found your comments about the D200 very interesting. I do not believe that you can do better than this using the D300.
    Thank you for sharing.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

17. Hi William,
    Thanks for looking and commenting.:smile:

18. Thank you for my Freedom brother.

Semper Fi

19. He was a hell of a man. Thanks for your comments.:smile:

20. Wounderful series! I have done many fallen biker rides and they are always touching too! It is great to remember any fallen brother or sisiter that is part of your lifestyle, no matter what it is!
    Drew at CBN

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.