A Tribute to the 18-55VR Kit Lens

I picked this up for $160 in unused condition (parted out from a D60 kit) and I've seen them for as low as $100 shipped (!!!). So if anyone was skeptical about this lens, take a look at some of these. Sorry 56k'ers but these are kinda big. You may have to click some to see full size.

01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A Perfect landscape lens.

02.jpg

Great for wide shots too

03.jpg

Perfect for Bikes... times two!

04.jpg

05.jpg

And kitties twice over.

06.jpg

07.jpg

Works nicely with a Canon 500D closeup lens

08.jpg

Chameleons too!

09.jpg

Might have been over at FM for $100 shipped. Not quite sure. There's one here for $100+ 15 shipping right now. Take a look on the For Sale forum when it becomes available for you. :smile:

Sonya - It's so lightweight... I barely notice it's there! Sure its not exactly built like my 300mm F4 or my D1X, but hey... for a walkaround lens, it's all you need.

I am just a beginner (once again after a loooong hiatus) so take my comment with that in mind. I love this lens (I have the non-VR version). Great image quality, sharp, light. I just returned from an anniversary trip to Africa. I loved the richness and sharpness of the photos I took with the lens. And I had no trouble without the VR. On the other hand, when I used the 70-300, I thanked Nikon for VR on more than a few of my shots!

I use my old workhorse 18-55 non-VR whenever I need a wide lens. Honestly, I think I've gotten some great results with it. I bought it to replace my 28-? (I don't remember) cheap lens, and I've been quite happy. However, having said that, I keep thinking about maybe replacing it with either the VR version or the Sigma 17-70, which a friend has and in my opinion is a wonderful lens. But, it's hard to justify the expense when the ol' Nikkor workhorse seems to do so well. It's a money issue right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, here are two examples of what the Nikkor 18-55mm has done for me. I'm posting this because I understand how awful it can be when everyone is talking about all these hugely expensive lenses, but how well the really inexpensive lenses can actually perform. I'm not rich. I cannot afford plunking down a $grand$ or more for a lens. It's important to remember that it's the photographer that makes the image, not the camera or lens. I firmly believe that. That's not to say I don't lust with the rest of us. :rolleyes:

At 55mm, f/8
137752415_kUaxA-L-4.jpg

at 35mm, f/11
136454789_BZP5W-L-2.jpg

and finally, at 20mm, f/7.3
136813083_Yy9gN-L-6.jpg

Real Name
Alex
Very good lens. I replaced it with the 18-70 years ago and I'm happy for the extra reach and still a light lens, but it did well for me. The 18-55 is great at the price.

Alex - I have an 18-70 lens as well as the 18-55VR, and while the 18-70 has extra reach and slightly faster long end, the VR really makes up for the rest of the lens' shortcomings.

S

ssjarz

Incredible pictures that just goes to show it is not the equipment but the eyeball and brain behind it that counts.

Wow after seeing some pictures, I'm going to get a d80 body only and this lens! And then after I learn how to shoot good, i might upgrade. But for a $100-160 lens i think i would still keep it.

I have a D200 with the 18-200 VR, but I picked up an 18-55 VR reconditioned from Cameta on eBay for $120. Best lens investment I ever made. It's perfect for taking with me as a single lens to cover events where I just want to take some pictures and not make a big deal of it. Super lightweight, super sharp and the VR is killer good.

G

gunfighter48

I bought a D60 kit with the 18-55VR and 55-200VR. Both lenses are excellent but the 18-55VR is a real standout. It has gotten rave reviews by the Pro review sites and users. Personally I find more value in the user reviews. It takes excellent photos regardless of price. Look in the for sale sections of fredmaranda.com or photo.net and you will find them for sale at great prices. These two are hard to beat if you're on a budget.

After shooting for about a month I found I wanted more reach at the top end of each lens. So I sold them for $120 ea and bought a 16-85VRII and 70-300VRII. Both of these lenses are a step up in build/image quality and while they take sharper photos, they also cost twice as much.

I use the 18-55 and aside from some minor setbacks you can not get better pictures from a $100 lens. This + the 50/1.8 is the best $200 you can spend. If you were to post those pics with a title "24-70 pics" people would be raving about the lens. The VR version is nice. I would buy that over the 16-85, seriously. Turn the extra savings ($400) into a 85/1.8. Can't beat that.

Just don't shoot with it wide open and you will be happy. ;-)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom