A trip down memory lane

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by EdMac, Dec 4, 2005.

1. I had an opportunity to go back and visit the little school house where I started Kindergarten in 1942. I took my trusty D100 along with my new Tokina 12-24 f4 and my new SB-800. This is the first time that I have crossed the threshold in 62 years. It brought back many memories, and was a pleasant way to spend a cloud gloomy day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first classroom.I sat in the middle of the second row.

[​IMG]

The society has saved all of the old roll sheets. I found my name on the one shown below. I was 5 years old at the time.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2005
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ed,
    That is fantastic.

Great images...

Wow a walk down memory lane.

3. Memory Lane

Hi Gale,

Thanks. I haven't been posting much lately. The birds are all south, and there have not been many interesting fires. Oh well.

I have been watching your bird photos, and they are really good. Keep up the good work. We are expecting more snow tomorrow.:smile:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi agan ED,

With all the fantastic stuff these guys shoot and all that great equip they have. I just can't compete. Way above my abilities.
    I don't post much for sure.

Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated.
    Most everything I have taken recently is in the wildlife gallery.

5. Ed, this is an excellent example of a concept that I've been thinking a lot about lately.

So often we get caught up in the technical details of exposure, focus, depth-of-field, etc. that we forget that composition (including content, of course) outweighs the other aspects. The kindergarten I attended no longer exists; tennis courts are in it's place (it was consumed in a fire many years ago). I would value a slightly blurred, poorly exposed photo of that place much more than a technically-perfect rendition of the tennis courts.

What a wonderful piece of history you have captured -- and captured quite well. In your case, you got both the composition and the technical aspects nailed!

6. Ed, what a wonderful series. Must be quite an experience going back after 62 years.

7. Hi David,
    Thank you for your nice comments. It was a thrill to walk through those doors, after all of this time. It brought back a lot of memories like the first day of school, the beginnings of WW2, and the people who were in my class. We didn't have indoor plumbing at the little school either.:smile:

8. Wonderful Series

Hi Phil,

It was a very nice day. The historical society has formed an alumni association, and they publish a newsletter This is the first time that I had a chance to go visit. Thanks for your comments.:smile:

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very special, Ed. It is humbling to go back where it all began...to see the buildings, remember the sounds, the voices and the good times when life was so simple. Great snaps for sure.

10. Remember when

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the comments. Remebering the old times is sure great. It is odd how things come back, when you stand in that environment.:smile:

11. Nice to see you back posting Ed and I like this series of shots.

12. Ed...where is this little school if you don't my asking?

Thanks,

13. Posting

Hi Gordon,

Thanks. I really have not had much to compete with the great stuff that I am seeing here now. I am waiting for my D200. Maybe that will motivate me.:smile:

14. Little School

Hi melissa,
    The little shool is located in Williamstown NJ. It was a long time ago that I went there. Yesterday was a great trip back in time. Thanks for asking.:smile:

15. These are priceless. Thanks for sharing!

16. Priceless

Hi,
    Thank you very much. They mean a lot to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2005
  17. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Nice shots!!Am sure you would have told seeing this shots"Time flyies":)!!
    Thanks for sharring your memory lane.

18. Hi Rathika,

Thank you so much for the nice comments. Life seems to go by too fast. I found it hard to believe that over 62 years had passed, since I had last entered that building.:smile:

19. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Ed, at the grand old age of 34 even a trip back to my old school before it was demolished stirred a lot of memories and emotions.
    After so many years it must have really made you reflect on the years in between. Glad you got the chance and hope it was all you expected.

20. Thrill

Hi Chaz,

Thank you for your comments. Yes it was a thrill to see theold place, and it brought back pleasant memories.:smile: