A Trip for Seniors

Hey everyone,

Normally I only shoot weddings or couples, but a few weeks ago, I bought a ticket with SouthWest and headed up to Minnesota. The reason being that one of my best friends lives up in a small town called Litchfield. Her name is Hannah and she works with a lady named Donna.

Now, Donna is married to Sydnee's dad, and has a son of her own, Keaton. So it was these step siblings that I was going to photograph as they are both entering their senior year of high school.

The weather was cloudy and a little windy all day and a perfect 65º. Now, obviously, this weather is pretty unnatural for Minnesota in last days of July. But being a Colorado boy who loves winter, I didn't mind the lack of humidity and cloud cover.

So without further a-do, I hope my images show up as I am trying to link them from my SmugMug gallery instead of my usual Flickr.

Shot with a D700 + 50 1.8G / 85 1.8G / 70-200 2.8G

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#7 is really nice, scott. most senior portraits are really straight forward, but this one has some real "depth" to it. i like it!

i just was contacted about a senior session (my very first) and i'm a bit apprehensive, haha. wish me luck, i'll need it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Beautiful, Scott! Nice work here, man!
Thanks Mike :smile: I appreciate it!

#7 is really nice, scott. most senior portraits are really straight forward, but this one has some real "depth" to it. i like it!

i just was contacted about a senior session (my very first) and i'm a bit apprehensive, haha. wish me luck, i'll need it!
Thanks Theo! It was one of my favorites as well. I am certainly not one to do anything traditional for my senior shoots. And I think it attracts "my kind of clients". There are plenty of people who do 'traditional' senior portraits, "put your hands here, or tilt your head this way". Which is all well and good. Don't get me wrong. For instance, 'RayGun' here on here the Cafe does amazing senior portraits.

I always obviously do the more 'traditional' poses for Mom and Dad, but then I treat the kids just like I would a bride or groom. That helps to take the edge off for me. Also, they like it because it feels more 'cool' or like they are a little more of an adult and can be themselves instead of sitting up straight or looking right at the camera. I just have fun with it. More of a 'Lifestyle' photographer at that point.

You will do great buddy. Just treat it like you do your e-sesh couples. Except they won't have another person to pose with. Just try to engage the kid, without drilling them with questions or pretending to much. Just get to know them and talk about what they want to talk about. I usually figure out what the kid likes, then if I don't understand, I ask questions so they can educate me. It seems to put them at ease.

Just try to remember that they don't really want to be there. They came because their parents made them. They smile because their parents make them. Think back to when you were in high school. The awkward stage of wanting to be like an adult, but used to people not treating you like one.

I can't wait to see your shots, Theo!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Blushing... :)

#5 is my favorite.
Jim, assuming that is a personal quote in your signature, I'm glad you saw my little plug :wink:. I love your senior work, buddy. It is top notch. I actually got a couple more requests in the last two days, so I will have some more senior stuff in September.

#5 is one of my favorites as well. I seems almost 'raw' to me. For instance, her shirt is a little off her shoulder, her hair is blowing, and there is just something about her stare that isn't the normal, happy look. It seems penetrating and purposeful (which I am glad she was able to pull it off, because that is kind of what I told her to do; "give me an intense, deep stare").

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom