A trip into "M" mode

Well, I am finally getting brave enough to use manual settings. This is probably the first shot I have ever taken that I didn't have to PP except crop. Not perfect by any stretch and was done quickly. I am pleased with light and color. Some shake noted, I will have to adjust to this 28-70 as I am spoiled by VR on my other lenses.

My 1 yr old grandson, Parker:
EXIF:
Basic
Date Modified 2007-05-15 21:15:18
Date Taken 2007-05-15 12:23:28
Camera NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D200
Exposure Time 0.0062s (1/160)
Aperture f/2.8
ISO 200
Focal Length 70mm (105mm 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 1536 x 2008
File Name Parker.jpg
File Size 579.42 KB

Detailed
Flash flash did not fire
Exposure Program manual
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Mode manual
Light Source unknown
White Balance auto
Digital Zoom Ratio 1/1
Contrast 0
Saturation 2
Sharpness 2
Subject Distance Range 0
Sensing Method one-chip color sensor
Color Space unknown

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You did very good.

Shooting in M mode can open up many more possibilities.

Regards,

Congrats on making that next step. I have finally and completely moved to "A" mode and learning a lot quicker than when I used to fall back on my D70's P&S modes, just because they were there and I didn't want to take any chances on missing the shot. In the end, I probably did miss really getting the right shot on many occasions. Maybe some day I will venture in to the world of "M"... but that day has not come yet. :smile:

Nice shot by the way!

Anthony - Go for it!! I can encourage you from my own experience that you will rarely shoot any other way after you use M for any length of time!
PS - Let's think about a Colorado Cafe get-together sometime; anyone else???

Nice job Trish! Before long you'll have a pretty good idea of what your settings need to be before you even shoot. In trying to train myself to see light and how it falls on people and objects, I find myself thinking of exposure setting even when I don't have my camera with me. Geeez, I may need professional help with this addiction. :eek:

Anthony - Go for it!! I can encourage you from my own experience that you will rarely shoot any other way after you use M for any length of time!
PS - Let's think about a Colorado Cafe get-together sometime; anyone else???
I agree. I have been thinking of trying to put together a get-together once I am past this very busy graduation month.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Everyone. I have been shooting RAW, but always shot in A mode. I am really liking manual...it's like all of a sudden the light bulb went on and I understand...finally. Will challenge myself to shoot exclusively in Manual for all of my portrait stuff.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom