A trip into "M" mode

Well, I am finally getting brave enough to use manual settings. This is probably the first shot I have ever taken that I didn't have to PP except crop. Not perfect by any stretch and was done quickly. I am pleased with light and color. Some shake noted, I will have to adjust to this 28-70 as I am spoiled by VR on my other lenses.

My 1 yr old grandson, Parker:
EXIF:
Basic
Date Modified 2007-05-15 21:15:18
Date Taken 2007-05-15 12:23:28
Camera NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D200
Exposure Time 0.0062s (1/160)
Aperture f/2.8
ISO 200
Focal Length 70mm (105mm 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 1536 x 2008
File Name Parker.jpg
File Size 579.42 KB

Detailed
Flash flash did not fire
Exposure Program manual
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Mode manual
Light Source unknown
White Balance auto
Digital Zoom Ratio 1/1
Contrast 0
Saturation 2
Sharpness 2
Subject Distance Range 0
Sensing Method one-chip color sensor
Color Space unknown

153092239-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You did very good.

Shooting in M mode can open up many more possibilities.

Regards,

Congrats on making that next step. I have finally and completely moved to "A" mode and learning a lot quicker than when I used to fall back on my D70's P&S modes, just because they were there and I didn't want to take any chances on missing the shot. In the end, I probably did miss really getting the right shot on many occasions. Maybe some day I will venture in to the world of "M"... but that day has not come yet. :smile:

Nice shot by the way!

Anthony - Go for it!! I can encourage you from my own experience that you will rarely shoot any other way after you use M for any length of time!
PS - Let's think about a Colorado Cafe get-together sometime; anyone else???

Nice job Trish! Before long you'll have a pretty good idea of what your settings need to be before you even shoot. In trying to train myself to see light and how it falls on people and objects, I find myself thinking of exposure setting even when I don't have my camera with me. Geeez, I may need professional help with this addiction. :eek:

Anthony - Go for it!! I can encourage you from my own experience that you will rarely shoot any other way after you use M for any length of time!
PS - Let's think about a Colorado Cafe get-together sometime; anyone else???

I agree. I have been thinking of trying to put together a get-together once I am past this very busy graduation month.

Thanks Everyone. I have been shooting RAW, but always shot in A mode. I am really liking manual...it's like all of a sudden the light bulb went on and I understand...finally. Will challenge myself to shoot exclusively in Manual for all of my portrait stuff.

Latest threads

Top Bottom