A trip on the Skimmer at Cape May

Discussion in 'Birds' started by EdMac, Jul 5, 2005.

1. I met up with Janet Zinn and her husband this past Sunday at Cape May NJ. We all took a boat trip on a pontoon boat called the Skimmer. This is a bird watching boat that cruises the back bays of Cape May. We used our 80-400 mm VR lenses on our D100s. Taking pictures on a bouncing boat with a long lens can be a challenge. Also, I used my Coolpix 5200 to take some pictures of the trip.

Comments welcome as always.

--Ed--

This first set of pictures is with the Coolpix.

The Captain briefing us prior to departure.

[​IMG]

A barge being towed out to Delaware Bay for the evenings fireworks display.

[​IMG]

An Osprey nest out in the bay. Taken with the D100

[​IMG]

A Cormorant on a piling. I did a lot of cleanup on this picture.

[​IMG]

A Skimmer fishing. This was a bit too far away.

[​IMG]

A mother Laughing Gull with 2 chicks. This was taken using auto ISO. it was 1/250 sec shutter priority f5.6 at ISO 560.

[​IMG]

Finally a picture of sunset using the Coolpix. The weather was delightful, but it would have been better if we had more light.

[​IMG]

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Sounds like you shared a wonderful day!!!! From the looks of it, you had a great time Ed. Thanks for sharing!! Where are those pics of Janet?? LOL

4. Pictures of Janet

Hi,
    I had to take an oath before we went to the boat lol. :D :D

--Ed--

5. Nice work Ed! it sure was a tough set of circumstances, between the light (lack of) and the bouncing boat. I don't think any of my osprey shots came out as well as yours. I still have to process what I have, maybe I'll post a few later.

And thanks for abiding by the oath ;-) Some of us hate being on that other side of the camera!

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice series Ed. Looks like an enjoyable trip. I certainly enjoyed the pics and narrative. :wink:

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good shots Ed,

Must've been very challenging to shooot from a rocking undulating boat! btw, I was wondering if any of those in the pics were Janet. Guess not.

8. Thanks Janet, I am looking forward to your post. The oath was not a problem. I know what you look like, and the others will have to keep guessing lol. :lol:

9. Nice Series

Hi Frank,

Yes, it was a very enjoyable trip. The 80-400 VR did a good job, but I was yearning for my 300 f2.8. The problem was that there was no way that I was going to be able to use a tripod on that rocking boat. I had my 70-200 VR along, but it was not enough to reach the birds. Thanks for your comments.
    :D

10. Re: Good shots Ed,

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your comments. Using the long lens on a moving boat is a challenge.
    As far as Janet's picture, I respect her wishes to not have it published on the Internet. :D

11. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Ed! You did well considering the low light conditions. Looks like a fun trip!

12. Fun Trip

Hi Don,

Thank you for your comments. It was a fun trip, and I am planning to do it again in the fall. :D

13. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    What ??? No photos of Janet "No bird is too small to photograph" Zinn ???

Dang. We wuz robbed.

14. Finally a picture of Janet

Well here it is. After all of the clamoring. Janet said that I could publish this one picture that I took of her. Here she is arriving at the boat dock. :D :wink:

[​IMG]

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Aha!! Janet has been sandbagging on us. Even from this distance we can see that she is a very attractive female of the Homo sapiens species. 8)

16. Janet's Picture

Hi Frank,

Janet just likes to be on the other end of the lens. :D I think there are a lot of us that feel that way lol. It is always a pleasure to go on a shoot with her and Alan.

17. a nice series Ed. look like it was a great trip. Love the shots and narrative.

18. Nice Picture

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the nice comments. It was a fun trip, but too late in the afternon.

19. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Yah,
    she did the same acouple years ago on the other forum. From what I could see, she does not have any reason to be shy.
    I like lady who can handle a long lens. :twisted: :lol: