A trip on the Skimmer at Cape May

I met up with Janet Zinn and her husband this past Sunday at Cape May NJ. We all took a boat trip on a pontoon boat called the Skimmer. This is a bird watching boat that cruises the back bays of Cape May. We used our 80-400 mm VR lenses on our D100s. Taking pictures on a bouncing boat with a long lens can be a challenge. Also, I used my Coolpix 5200 to take some pictures of the trip.

Comments welcome as always.

--Ed--

This first set of pictures is with the Coolpix.

The Captain briefing us prior to departure.

27213858-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A barge being towed out to Delaware Bay for the evenings fireworks display.

27213854-L.jpg

An Osprey nest out in the bay. Taken with the D100

27206081-L.jpg

A Cormorant on a piling. I did a lot of cleanup on this picture.

27204638-L.jpg

A Skimmer fishing. This was a bit too far away.

27209833-L.jpg

A mother Laughing Gull with 2 chicks. This was taken using auto ISO. it was 1/250 sec shutter priority f5.6 at ISO 560.

27210710-L.jpg

Finally a picture of sunset using the Coolpix. The weather was delightful, but it would have been better if we had more light.

27204632-L.jpg

Sounds like you shared a wonderful day!!!! From the looks of it, you had a great time Ed. Thanks for sharing!! Where are those pics of Janet?? LOL

Pictures of Janet

Keith said:
Sounds like you shared a wonderful day!!!! From the looks of it, you had a great time Ed. Thanks for sharing!! Where are those pics of Janet?? LOL

Hi,
I had to take an oath before we went to the boat lol. :D :D

--Ed--

Nice work Ed! it sure was a tough set of circumstances, between the light (lack of) and the bouncing boat. I don't think any of my osprey shots came out as well as yours. I still have to process what I have, maybe I'll post a few later.

And thanks for abiding by the oath ;-) Some of us hate being on that other side of the camera!

Nice series Ed. Looks like an enjoyable trip. I certainly enjoyed the pics and narrative. :wink:

Good shots Ed,

Must've been very challenging to shooot from a rocking undulating boat! btw, I was wondering if any of those in the pics were Janet. Guess not.

jczinn said:
Nice work Ed! it sure was a tough set of circumstances, between the light (lack of) and the bouncing boat. I don't think any of my osprey shots came out as well as yours. I still have to process what I have, maybe I'll post a few later.

And thanks for abiding by the oath ;-) Some of us hate being on that other side of the camera!

Thanks Janet, I am looking forward to your post. The oath was not a problem. I know what you look like, and the others will have to keep guessing lol. :lol:

Nice Series

Flew said:
Nice series Ed. Looks like an enjoyable trip. I certainly enjoyed the pics and narrative. :wink:

Hi Frank,

Yes, it was a very enjoyable trip. The 80-400 VR did a good job, but I was yearning for my 300 f2.8. The problem was that there was no way that I was going to be able to use a tripod on that rocking boat. I had my 70-200 VR along, but it was not enough to reach the birds. Thanks for your comments.
:D

Re: Good shots Ed,

Steve S said:
Must've been very challenging to shooot from a rocking undulating boat! btw, I was wondering if any of those in the pics were Janet. Guess not.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your comments. Using the long lens on a moving boat is a challenge.
As far as Janet's picture, I respect her wishes to not have it published on the Internet. :D

Fun Trip

drueter said:
Nice shots, Ed! You did well considering the low light conditions. Looks like a fun trip!

Hi Don,

Thank you for your comments. It was a fun trip, and I am planning to do it again in the fall. :D

jczinn said:

What ??? No photos of Janet "No bird is too small to photograph" Zinn ???

Dang. We wuz robbed.

Finally a picture of Janet

PJohnP said:
jczinn said:

What ??? No photos of Janet "No bird is too small to photograph" Zinn ???

Dang. We wuz robbed.

Well here it is. After all of the clamoring. Janet said that I could publish this one picture that I took of her. Here she is arriving at the boat dock. :D :wink:

27213857-L.jpg

Aha!! Janet has been sandbagging on us. Even from this distance we can see that she is a very attractive female of the Homo sapiens species. 8)

Janet's Picture

Flew said:
Aha!! Janet has been sandbagging on us. Even from this distance we can see that she is a very attractive female of the Homo sapiens species. 8)

Hi Frank,

Janet just likes to be on the other end of the lens. :D I think there are a lot of us that feel that way lol. It is always a pleasure to go on a shoot with her and Alan.

Nice Picture

Backdoctor said:
a nice series Ed. look like it was a great trip. Love the shots and narrative.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the nice comments. It was a fun trip, but too late in the afternon.

Flew said:
Yah,
she did the same acouple years ago on the other forum. From what I could see, she does not have any reason to be shy.
I like lady who can handle a long lens. :twisted: :lol:

Latest threads

Top Bottom