A trip to the top of the world

...at least it seemed like a trip to the top of the world. We went to central Idaho for our annual family vacation.

My son-in-law arranged for us to have an ATV to ride. We had three couples and one grandson make the trip to Pinyon Peak in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. This is wild country that sees very few people. So it is a special trip.

Some of these shots were taken with my D300 and others with my Canon S90. We traveled with the D300 in plastic bags, in a backpack which was zipped inside of a duffel bag. So I didn't get it out often. I didn't want to get it full of dust.

We started out fairly low and we went through some beautiful forested areas. Can you spot the deer?

p59904679.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 941577

We quickly started to climb. Our destination was at 10,000 feet.

View attachment 941578

View attachment 941579

After several miles we reached an area that had been burned in a fire a lot of years ago. It will take a long time for this forest to come back. You can see the switchbacks we took to the top.

View attachment 941580

The view from the top is amazing.

Sorry so small but I took a panorama. The thing that is amazing is how many mountain ranges there are here.

View attachment 941581

Here is a crop from the panorama.

View attachment 941582

View attachment 941583

There is a fire lookout station at the top. A young woman is there all alone. Can you imagine the solitude and isolation?

View attachment 941584

We saw very few people, but this family was having a fun time throwing snowballs.

View attachment 941585

We did get caught in a hailstorm, but luckily we found some shelter.

View attachment 941586

We rode 60 miles and had a great day. My guess is that it is something most of you will never get to do, so I thought it would be fun to share.

View attachment 941587

It looks like a great trip Terri. I really like the panos. I wish we could display them larger on the Cafe, but it does work. These remind me a lot of some places in Colorado.

Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
Mike
Thanks for sharing Terri! Wonderful images and commentary. Hopefully, someday.....:rolleyes:

So glad you folks all enjoyed my series and commentary....and no, I won't be camping out there, the wolves have made a huge comeback in this area. The elk population is nearly decimated because of the wolves.

Great trip, Terri. Thanks for sharing the photos.

But didn't you know that the "Top of the World" is at the top of the Jackson Hole Tram? They even have a sign!
969756524_34Cik-M.jpg

Very enjoyable, I probably will never get to that area. Good compositions, yet best of all family and fun. Thank you Terri.

Well then if that is the top, what is this?

Great trip, Terri. Thanks for sharing the photos.

But didn't you know that the "Top of the World" is at the top of the Jackson Hole Tram? They even have a sign!
http://clearwaterphotography.smugmu...-and-Yellowstone/8910-2/969756524_34Cik-M.jpg

This would be the real top, a ways farther up from the sign, notice the brass survey post?
Image117copy.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom