A Tropical Hummer

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jczinn, Mar 1, 2005.

1. My attempt at a Hummingbird from my Puerto Rican trip. We saw many, but always in poor light, and so darn fast! None of the places we were at had feeders, a distinct disadvantage...you could never predict where they would go. And the ones perched were always too far away. Sigh, I really really wanted to get some hummer pics for Uncle Frank :( These will have to do! The backgrounds are not great but the colors on these birds are pretty cool. This is both the same bird, in the second pic the light has caught his "crest"...in the first one it is totally dark!

Antillean Crested Hummingbird

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Nice. i like the second one best. did you just come back to this beautiful noreaster?
    I have not been here much. my pc is boken. will have a replacement tomorrow. :D

3. Hummers are such beautiful birds. Thanks for sharing these from your trip. We have missed you while you were gone.

4. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Great to have you back Janet and with such nice images to boot.

Neil

5. Thanks for the thought, Janet. Sounds like miserable shooting conditions, though. I love the beautiful crown feathers on this fellow.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Janet,

These look pretty good to me. Considering that I don't have any hummer shots yet, these beat me hands down.... :lol:

Seriously, these are pretty good shots. :wink:

Regards,

Frank

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Really colorful Janet!

You gonna put up a gallery for all your PR keepers? Let us know!

8. Thanks everyone! These guys are sure a challenge, a faster flash sync speed would sure be nice....really 1/180 is a challenge. I don't even want to know what the synch speed of the d2x is...please don't tell me ;-)

Steve, most definitely I will be putting up a gallery of Puerto Rico, both birds and scenery, but it will take a few weeks as I go through all the shots, I'll post the best of them here little by little...and maybe a few over at that other place too ;-)

9. Janet

Hey these litte buggers are fast as can be and never perch within reach if they do rest, I really liek the colors of this bird in the second shot look forward to more of yout PR posts.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Welcome Home Janet,
    Bet you wish you were still in PR. I love the Islands.

I think the hummers are beautiful and the first to me has more character and contrast of flower and bird. The second is one great catch, in the flower. Good work.

As you know a bunch of us got together in Florida.

Some great stuff from the guys can be seen in the Merritt Session.

Look foward to all you images.

Cheers
    Gale

11. thanks Gale, I am glad to see how busy this forum has gotten but I'm struggling to catch up with it all! Not to mention catching up at work and processing all these photos, lol I need a vacation!

I will check out the Merrit photos soon!

12. Great shots. I like the first one. I don't recall ever seeing a hummerbirds wings frozen like that. Way to go!!