1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A true "car in the barn" story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Those of you who fancy old cars check this out. My eldest son, a Lotus owner sent it to me:

Enjoy:

-------------
    A True "Car in the Barn" story
    Imagine you're going to live in Portugal. You find a lovely farmhouse set on a decent plot of land. The place has been empty for 15 years...
    While exploring your new property you find a large barn. The door is padlocked and welded shut and it's all rusted solid. So you grind the padlock and the welds off and.........

http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm

Some of these cars are worth more than the plot of land.
    ---------------
    Thanks, Rich

2. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    :910::910::910:
    What a find!! Have they been able to find anything out about the cars? It would be interesting to find out the story behind the cars.
    Where in portugal is your son?

3. He lives in northen VA, this was a pass on from a friend. However, he does own two Lotuses...or is that Loti? :rolleyes:  A Super seven and a Europa.

Rich

4. Looks like someone hit the jackpot. :biggrin:

5. OMG.... Look at all those toys you could be playing with.... Being an Ol' petrol head from way back...;o))

6. Hey Rich -

Great story and storehouse!

Such an amazing tale does raise my suspicion sensors, though . . .

Thanks for the link.

Eric

7. WOW! I'd be happy with just 1 of those beauties! That's some story, but man, I bet there's a very interesting history with it! Thanks for sharing!

8. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    We need to send this to Paul Harvey to get "The Rest of the Story".

9. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    First of all, that's not a "barn". That's a definate storage facility. I've never seen a "barn" constructed out of cinder blocks with a gate of that magnitude.

It is, however, a great find. I'd bet the rodents had a heyday with the wiring on those cars...

10. Yeah, but how many old Nikons did they find?????:rolleyes: 

11. Considering the robust structure and high security of the building, my radar tells me that this was an illegal operation. Tracing the serial numbers of these vehicles might tell the full story. This should be very interesting. Thanks for this, Rich, and please keep us updated if you can. Some amazing old bangers in there. The thing I find puzzling is that some of them are just shells...

12. So you've never been to a European farm then? :biggrin: Agricultural buildings of this nature (but perhaps not this size!) are certainly quite common in the UK.

Ronnie

13. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
  14. RAURICK

RAURICK Guest

I've ran across some "car in the barn" stories before but that one is by far the best!

15. Joyseeker

Joyseeker Guest

i really wonder about these hoarding guys...... their money could have saved so many.

can't say this to my friends who have small hoardings themselves.... well, not until they have bought me dinner tonite. :biggrin:

16. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I agree. whats with the tow truck? totally stolen goods. no Idea about rules abroad but in the good ole US of A a stolen car's records are distroyed after 7 years. anyone can goto the Dmv and apply for lost title and get a clean pinkslip for a stolen car after 7 years.

17. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    The gent made one mistake, not locking a detailer up with the cars. LOL.

that's one heckofa barn, lol. Interesting condition on some of these, headlights missing and stuff, a little strange. It's almost like he just went around buying cars in people's back yards maybe? Well, some of them anyway, the true classic antiques, difficult to say. Stolen may be accurate.

18. I'm not so confident that every state DMV (for those of you who are not US citizens automobile registration is handled independently by each state) handles the process of stolen and junked cars in exactly the same way; namelly everything is dumped after seven years.

Even if it turns out that the story is a hoax, finding all those wonderful old cars must have been a real treat.

I first gained a passion for cars as a nine year old in Chicago. I was lucky enough to live close to a classic automobile restoration shop. This was in the early 1950's and bondo didn't exist (or at least I never heard of it). I'd watch the craftsmen, mesmerized, as they used a torch to smooth nearly molten lead on the body dents and work it in. To me that was majoc. The guys let us walk around the storage facility (which was also inside a warehouse). We sat in gull wing Mercedes, Alpha Romeo convertibles and even an open cockpit Bugatti. Man those were great memories!

Rich

19. While not a typical car barn story: Sometime in 1999 when on my way to visit GE in Lynn, MA, I got lost and ended up in Salem, MA. While driving , I saw out of the corner of my eye an open garage door and there in the dark was what seemed to be a number of Bugatti automobiles. So I stopped and got out of the car and walked back. Indeed, this was a treasure trove of smaller Bugatti automobiles in various states of repair. It was a legitimate repair /restoration shop that specialized in these rare automobiles. So, sometimes when you get lost there's a bonus...

[As an afterthought I "Googled" Salem/Bugatti and found this: "Cooper's Garage, 405 Essex Street, Salem, Massachusetts 01970", for all the Bugatti enthusiasts]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.