1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A Try at Fake Tilt Shift

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by McQ, Aug 9, 2009.

1. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

On vacation in Stone Harbor, NJ, took the time to drive to Cape May and go into the Lighthouse. Took a couple of shots that I thought might make good miniatures. How'd I do?

1. WWII Bunker/Gun emplacement:

[​IMG]

2. Not sure I like this one, but wanted to see how it fared. Part of Cape May:

[​IMG]

3. Another shot of Cape May:

[​IMG]

4. And just for fun, a shot of the beach entry in Stone Harbor. Wanted it to look just a little different than normal:

[​IMG]

2. hotshot

hotshot

Sep 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome! Care to share how you did that?

3. Good job Glenn. These are fun. I like #3 best. I was thinking that with #1 you could make the whole building sharp by painting on the masked layer to hide the blur there.

4. First one better than the other ones. You should always have a higher vantage point (like in #1), not too high, so as to give the impression you are looking at a model or diorama.

5. Well done. I like 1 & 3 the best.

Mike

6. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Thanks. All done in PhotoShop CS3. Learned the technique here on the Cafe from Mattes. Probably better if I just share the thread that taught me how to do it. Originally saw this thread:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=211517&highlight=tilt+shift

Easy concept, but I find it hard to do well. The others here are aces at it, I'm still learning it.

Ron, thanks. I'll have to learn how to do that. It sounds like it would make the photo that much more convincing. I appreciate the tip. If I'm successful, I'll post it here.

Thanks, Alex! Yes, the higher vantage point really helps to sell the effect. The first three were all taken from the same spot, at the top of the Cape May Lighthouse, but the last one was taken from the ground. On the last one, I really wasn't going for too much of the "model" look, but just wanted something unusual. This is a fun technique and I appreciate the comments and help!

Thanks, Mike! Can't wait to try some more of these in other places.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.