A Try at Fake Tilt Shift

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
On vacation in Stone Harbor, NJ, took the time to drive to Cape May and go into the Lighthouse. Took a couple of shots that I thought might make good miniatures. How'd I do?

1. WWII Bunker/Gun emplacement:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Not sure I like this one, but wanted to see how it fared. Part of Cape May:

3. Another shot of Cape May:

4. And just for fun, a shot of the beach entry in Stone Harbor. Wanted it to look just a little different than normal:

First one better than the other ones. You should always have a higher vantage point (like in #1), not too high, so as to give the impression you are looking at a model or diorama.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Awesome! Care to share how you did that?
Thanks. All done in PhotoShop CS3. Learned the technique here on the Cafe from Mattes. Probably better if I just share the thread that taught me how to do it. Originally saw this thread:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=211517&highlight=tilt+shift

Easy concept, but I find it hard to do well. The others here are aces at it, I'm still learning it.

Good job Glenn. These are fun. I like #3 best. I was thinking that with #1 you could make the whole building sharp by painting on the masked layer to hide the blur there.
Ron, thanks. I'll have to learn how to do that. It sounds like it would make the photo that much more convincing. I appreciate the tip. If I'm successful, I'll post it here.

First one better than the other ones. You should always have a higher vantage point (like in #1), not too high, so as to give the impression you are looking at a model or diorama.
Thanks, Alex! Yes, the higher vantage point really helps to sell the effect. The first three were all taken from the same spot, at the top of the Cape May Lighthouse, but the last one was taken from the ground. On the last one, I really wasn't going for too much of the "model" look, but just wanted something unusual. This is a fun technique and I appreciate the comments and help!

Well done. I like 1 & 3 the best.

Mike

Thanks, Mike! Can't wait to try some more of these in other places.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom