A Tutorial - The Secrets to Getting Great Photos

Hey all,

Long time no see! I haven't been around too many forums lately, and mainly just post photos on social media these days. I started a website last year though, about my young adult cancer history, but didn't want to make a whole website just about that, because it's awful. :) I've started to use it for sharing my photography as well. There isn't a whole lot up there at this point, but just this past weekend I gave a presentation about photography to a neighborhood Girl Scout Troop, and ended up making a blog about it since it was all framed up in my head. Figured I would share it here.

http://www.stevepake.com/photography/2016/3/8/the-secrets-to-getting-great-photos

This is not technical at all, and much more about the philosophical approaches to photography. Hope you enjoy reading and checking it out. Let me know what you think. :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Blog cover shot: Nikon AW1 in the surf at Rehoboth Beach, DE a year or two ago.

Mainly shooting a Canon 7D Mark II these days, but the 5D Mark II comes out to play once in awhile as well. I still have and use two Nikon AW1 cameras, one of which I gave to my daughter as her first official camera. She's enjoyed using it.

Cheers,
Steve

Welcome back, Steve. Post more often.
Thanks Jim!

Remember we were chatting so long ago, about trying to get my folks to actually go and do something during their retirement? They finally, just yesterday, got back from their first real vacation. They went to the Dominican Republic!!! :) They couldn't figure out the WiFi down there, but am looking forward to seeing some neat photos. Hope this encourages them to keep traveling.

Been a long time. I need to check out your SmugMug.;)

cxk

Hey all,

Long time no see! I haven't been around too many forums lately, and mainly just post photos on social media these days. I started a website last year though, about my young adult cancer history, but didn't want to make a whole website just about that, because it's awful. :) I've started to use it for sharing my photography as well. There isn't a whole lot up there at this point, but just this past weekend I gave a presentation about photography to a neighborhood Girl Scout Troop, and ended up making a blog about it since it was all framed up in my head. Figured I would share it here.

The Secrets to Getting Great Photos

This is not technical at all, and much more about the philosophical approaches to photography. Hope you enjoy reading and checking it out. Let me know what you think. :)

View attachment 1437767
Blog cover shot: Nikon AW1 in the surf at Rehoboth Beach, DE a year or two ago.

Mainly shooting a Canon 7D Mark II these days, but the 5D Mark II comes out to play once in awhile as well. I still have and use two Nikon AW1 cameras, one of which I gave to my daughter as her first official camera. She's enjoyed using it.

Cheers,
Steve
Good piece, good reminders. Thanks

A good tutorial. I give them sometimes too, one on one and cover about half your excellent points.

My number one, most important, first point conveyed is "look at all four corners, visualize and compose the picture before you snap away". The short version of that is " think ". Lots of new folks just bang away, and are too far from the subject.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom