1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A very good article on street photography...

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Jul 6, 2008.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I came across a very good article at Luminous Landscapes on street photography. A good primer for those getting started in this genre. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/street.shtml

My favorite quote... "Effective street photography is about telling a story in a single frame, not simply recording what was there at a particular time and in a specific place ".

Yes its out of focus, blurry, and full of noise, but....
    original.
    NIKON D100    ---    85mm    f/4.5    1/60s    ISO 200

2. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    Great photo! where was that taken?

3. great link
    excellent
    point well-taken

4. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    A video of this style in action

Rick W posted this over on Nikongear. An amazing video of this type of photography in action. I do a similar thing at our local skating rink but everybody there knows me. I could not imagine doing this on the street but he gets some amazing results, I have respect for his style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

5. Really interesting piece and a great shot there. NYC Republican Convention '04?

6. WOW! Now that is some ego. I couldn't imagine being "in your face" like this guy, but I guess it works for him.

7. papah

papah

May 5, 2007
    Seattle
    Great link! Thanks. This is a genre I wish I was better at...

8. Thanks Patrick for posting that here. I remember the first time I saw that video, I kept thinking how someone would just slap me around if I tried his technique at street shooting. :eek: :eek: 

9. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    I could never do it in public either. When I do it at the skating rink with seven year olds, the worst I get is a sneer. But I have got some interesting shots of my daughter and her friends though . My feeling from watching the video is part of the reason he can pull it off is that he is got the eccentric look going with the beard the vest and the old camera equipment, my guess is very few people could do what he does with out getting confronted by their subjects. The first person he photographed on the video even caught me by surprise, and startled me enough to jump.

10. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Larry,

Yes that image is from the protest rally during the RNC in 2004. There were so many PJ opportunities that day :) 

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005

One reason why he gets away with it is he looks like a mental patient and he preys on the elderly. Not all of us New Yorkers are as rude and obnoxious as this individual. In all honesty, I looked at his images of this project and I wasn't that impressed. Scaring old people by flashing them in the face....what an butt.

12. ohmygod, I know. I'd get beat up, for sure. And then they'd smash my gear.
    Or, at least, that's what I'm afraid of. hahaha.

13. Yep, RFC and Rebecca, I do quite a bit of street shooting down here in Dallas and Fort Worth and there is no way that I could shoot the way Gilden shoots. These rednecks and cowboys would smack the living daylights out of me.

And besides, I agree, I can't just be that rude and invade someone's space the way he does. I have to admit though, I do like a lot of his stuff.

That is a great shot you posted RFC. Full of emotion. Excellent work.

14. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    Being "in your face" tends to shock or startle people, I prefer not being seen or barely noticed and getting more natural shots..

15. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I had the same impression while seeing the shots in this video ( though I suppose not all of his photographs are like this ) . They seemed awfully overexposed, a waste of good Tri-X and Leica goodness if you ask me … but hey whatever floats your boat I guess :rolleyes: 

16. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    I could never shoot 'in your face' like that. I know street photography is all about people not knowing you're trying to shoot, but I can't do it. Took me about twenty minutes (they were about to board) to ask a cute couple in the airport if I could take their photo, I was so surprised when they said 'sure', sat down again and repositioned themselves as they were before - he picked up his book and pretended to read, she took off her shoes, curled up on the seat, head on his thigh, eyes closed. I was surprised at me too :) 

17. That's a nice story, Stephanie. Sometimes, people really do understand what a photographer is trying to accomplish. :smile:

18. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    good article. I especially like the one about photographing children in public lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.