A Very Special Little Boy

Our youngest daughter has two little boys. Her first son was very sick as a baby. When he was almost two years old he became critically ill and had to be lifeflighted to Primary Children's hospital. There it was discovered that he has a very rare metabolic disease called Beta Keto Thiolase. His body cannot process Ketones. By the time the disorder was discovered he was quite developmentally delayed. Now they have him on a special diet and he is learning and growing by leaps and bounds, although he still has not caught up to his age level. He has only been walking for about a year and has been in physical and speech therapy. Just last week he learned to pedal a bike and when we were there this weekend he can carry on a conversation that I can understand. He is the most special little boy and so precious to me that thinking of him brings me to tears. He gives the best hugs and kisses. We FaceTime every day because he lives about 4 hours away!! My new little D5600 allowed me to bring the camera everywhere when we visited this weekend and I was able to catch some photos that I will treasure.

I was so distraught when we first found out about his condition. But, now I am just grateful for every moment we share. He is my angel and my hero!!

p3046692536-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Learning to pedal a bike
p3046692595-5.jpg

Hugging Mommy
p3046697859-5.jpg

Conquering the rope bridge at the aquarium
p3046719079-5.jpg

Riding on a frog
p3046725728-5.jpg

p3047071090-5.jpg

Showing little brother something neat in the book.
p3046790243-5.jpg

Yummy treat!!
p3047063554-5.jpg

p3047042562-5.jpg

Hanging out with me!!
p3046796332-5.jpg

Real Name
Tony Saya
Terri by the looks of these wonderful pictures your grandson is coming along just great

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, despite all the medical science involved here, the best medicine is a loving family-a and a grandma with a camera :joyful:

Terri by the looks of these wonderful pictures your grandson is coming along just great

Terri, that last photo is a winner!!! Hugs from Grandma are always the best.

Wonderful photos, and it is very clear that your grandson is surrounded by love..... Seems as though he had a rough start in life but that he is doing really well now — and that must be such a joy for everyone in the family!

Love this series and I feel certain that he is lucky to have such a special grandma.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment. He is mostly blessed to have such wonderful parents who do their best to give him every opportunity to succeed. They have sacrificed so much in time, money, and energy to work with him and help him. He has been hospitalized several times in the past two years. He will always have challenges, so little is known about this disorder--only a few dozen children in the entire U.S. have it, as far as we know. But, we have been blessed beyond measure to have him still be alive and with us. We are the lucky ones, to have him. He brings us so much joy. Right now, he is thriving and learning and we couldn't ask for more!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom