A very strange sensor cleaning experience.. but with a good outcome.

I have always wet cleaned my Nikon sensors with eclipse fluid and used the Copperhill method. No issues whatsoever... EVER!

So went on the Copperhill site and saw their recommendation for cleaning the Sony NEX-6 was the same solution and a smaller swipe tool, because of the smaller sensor. So.. ordered the swipe tool.

It came and I proceeded the clean my sensor the exact same as I always had for my other Nikons that created crystal clear sensors.

No matter what I did.. the image below was what I got.

p1856400657-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was totally confused at this point and sent the above image to Copperhill for guidance. They told me they had never seen this happen before and said I should try to clean it with a dry pec-pad.

I tried that and it did not come off. I tried a few other suggestions and no good.

So I thought, ya know.. what do I have to loose. So I took a really smooth micro-fiber cloth I have and scrubbed it pretty hard. Harder than I would have ever done to try to clean it. It took a lot of pressure, but I saw a hazed area vanish into now polished glass. WOOHOO!!!

After messing with it for about 20 mins, I was able to get all the haze out. I really had to press pretty hard to get it to come out. I guess the eclipse, for some reason left all that haze. I used one drop when I cleaned it and waited like 20 seconds before I swiped the sensor with it.

I never had this issue with the Nikons, so I have no clue what the deal is.

But it is shooting as new and I found I can clean it with a light touch of a pristine micro-fiber cloth after blowing it with some canned air, but I try not to touch it unless I absolutely have to.

I was afraid that the open sensor of the mirrorless would make it more prone to sensor dust, but I have found that not to be the case. It is no more prone to dust than any other DSLR I have owned.

That's a strange one...?

Eclips is listed as safe for ALL digital camera sensors and the Sony
NEX series is one of them...

Is it "remotely" possible that something could have contaminated the
first pad/swab that you used and therefore coated the surface of the
sensor low-pass filter...? Any possibilty, even far fatched..?

I guess anything is possible, but it was a brand new bag of pec pads and eclipse fluid. both from CopperHill. I would think they would be fine.

I was wondering if it would have anything to do with the humidity in the air when cleaning.

That's a strange one...?

Eclips is listed as safe for ALL digital camera sensors and the Sony
NEX series is one of them...

Is it "remotely" possible that something could have contaminated the
first pad/swab that you used and and therefore coated the surface of
the sensor lens...? Any possibilty, even far fatched..?

Well, these things are manufactured and packaged in factories on mass production
lines... Some of the people working in these factories are not necessarily always
competent or may have a grudge/beef and you could have been victim to their
misdirected vengance... Or not...

Try testing the pads/cleaner on a regular piece of clean glass, like a window,
and see if it smears like it did on your sensor... If it does then you know you've
got something that isn't up to snuff, if it doesn't you've eliminated one possibility...

Will give it a shot...

Well, these things are manufactured and packaged in factories on mass production
lines... Some of the people working in these factories are not necessarily always
competent or may have a grudge/beef and you could have been victim to their
misdirected vengance... Or not...

Try testing the pads/cleaner on a regular piece of clean glass, like a window,
and see if it smears like it did on your sensor... If it does then you know you've
got something that isn't up to snuff, if it doesn't you've eliminated one possibility...

Maybe something already on it contaminated the Eclipse.

Did you sneeze? :biggrin:

Now that hayfever season is upon us I have found that even if I turn my head around like an owl and point as far away from my camera as possible, I still have to clean my lens sometimes. Sneezes can travel a long way and stay in the air for longer than you might think!

LOL

No sneezes..

Now that hayfever season is upon us I have found that even if I turn my head around like an owl and point as far away from my camera as possible, I still have to clean my lens sometimes. Sneezes can travel a long way and stay in the air for longer than you might think!

I saw that on my D600... I suspect it was oil and the pec pads smeared it all over the sensor (with the eclipse fluid). I used a lenspen sensorklear and it cleaned it right up. The reason I knew it was oil was because my 200/2 had oil spots on its rear filter and I suspect it came from the D600's shutter mechanism. It only happened once.

This is a mirrorless so no moving parts, hence should be no oil anywhere around the sensor.

I saw that on my D600... I suspect it was oil and the pec pads smeared it all over the sensor (with the eclipse fluid). I used a lenspen sensorklear and it cleaned it right up. The reason I knew it was oil was because my 200/2 had oil spots on its rear filter and I suspect it came from the D600's shutter mechanism. It only happened once.

William - did you try the pads and Eclipse out on glass? Just wondering since I've never had a haze problem after applying Eclipse to sensor swabs and then wet cleaning my sensor filter.

Seasons can effect, i agree. but rate of humidity in air can also effect which forces you to clean up you camera. so just put the cover on you lens to avoid seasonal effects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom