A Visit to the Vermont Institute of Natural Science

The Vermont Institute of Natural Science's (VINS) Nature Center has a nice selection of raptors and songbirds that they rehabilitate. These images of some of the raptors were shot yesterday:

i-36gMLQP-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-sxkPRb3-L.jpg

i-wvrRx7S-L.jpg

i-TwtJZH2-L.jpg

i-NcvQnKb-L.jpg

I have very little experience in shooting birds, so would appreciate any comments about how to improve.

Good start! Whenever possible, add just a hint of fill flash. If for nothing else, it will add a little catch light to the eye that will give the bird life.
I've always wanted to go there but just haven't been able to make the time. Looks like they might have some interesting set-ups. Did you go for a regular tour or was it a photo special?

......Did you go for a regular tour or was it a photo special?

Actually neither. There is no "tour" that I'm aware of, and this was no photo special. The exhibits are all self-guided, and they have a raptor "show" twice a day (I think), where they also do some "free-flights".

Luckily there were only about 8 visitors the afternoon that I was there, so there was absolutely no problem with getting good vantage points for photos.

Good start! Whenever possible, add just a hint of fill flash. If for nothing else, it will add a little catch light to the eye that will give the bird life.......

Thank for the tip! Most of these were shot from a significant distance (20-25 feet at least) with my 70-300 or 24-120 lens, and then cropped. Would fill flash have still been effective in that case? And wouldn't the use of flash have the potential for spooking the birds? (just asking....)

Nevertheless, based upon your advice, I tried to enhance whatever catchlight was there with Lightroom. Here's what I came up with. Is this an improvement?

i-CJrckWk-L.jpg

Thanks!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom