A walk in Charlotte, North Carolina

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by CliffB, Jul 8, 2007.

1. While taking a short walk in Charlotte, a last week, I noticed that most of the parking meters were covered with "no parking" signs. Seeing some barriers stacked up, on the sidewallks, I presumed that they were getting ready for some type fo event. What caught my eye was the no parking signs, covering the meters. If you look at the first shot, you can see that they are padlocked. I guess that we have fallen a long way, when these need to be padlocked.

2. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Nice series.
    Charlotte is a beautiful town to walk around. I rarely am able to dedicate time to just wandering around when we go to Charlotte.

What camera/lens combo were you using? The colors are great. I'm guessing D200 and 28-70?
    Am I close?

3. Thank you, Kevin. The thing that I find missing in Charlotte is older buidlings. Where Charlotte is such a relatively new city, there is a lack of shots feturing a contrast between old and new buildings.

Those shots were made with a D70. The second was shot with a Sigma 17-70; and, the rest were taken with a Sigma 10-20.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Where are all the people. Don't see a one.
    Nice town.
    I think I like it

5. People? What people? I took these right after the evacuation. Actually, these were taken ysunaday morning; so, there was not much going on in the business section of town.

Even during normal business hours, the streets of Charlotte can be eerily empty. If you look at the shot with the traffic arrows, you can see a second floor, enclosed bridge, connecting two buildings. There are a number of these uptown. You can travel for blocks, without ever going outside.

The first time that I went to uptown Charlotte was about 16 years ago. I was going for a job interview, at a bank. Uptown Charlotte is populated mainly by banks. I arrived at about 2:00 p.m. I could not understand why I only saw a handful of people on the streets in the main business district of a large city. Then I realized that almost everyone, that was walking between the large office buildings, was travelling via these enclosed bridges.

6. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    Good shots, of my city. I love walking around uptown Charlotte, and the banking creatures never want to leave the AC of the buildings. I just returned from Frankfurt, and it is a large banking city, and there were lots out and about - but no skywalks. Charlotte sometimes seems to be lacking that community culture that other world cities possess. Good shots.

I need to go again on a walk about, and get off Tryon street, to capture a different perspective.

7. philcozz

philcozz

Jun 27, 2007
    Colchester, UK
    Great shots. I especially like #2.

8. Thank you. I feel the same about Charlotte. All in all, I find it to be rather sterile and lacking in personality. I used to live about 20 miles from Boston; and, I found myself heading into the city constantly for restaurants, shopping, shows, clubs, museums and various other events. As Charlotte and Boston are not dissimilar in size, I expected, when I moved about 20 miles from Charlote, 12 years ago, that I would, likewise, be visiting Charlotte often. However, I think that I can count on my fingers the number of times that I have found a reason to go to Charlotte.

Thank you. That was my best of that morning.