A Walk in the Woods in S.E Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Nov 5, 2005.

1. This afternoon went back to Valley Forge Park to shoot some landscapes, since The leaves here are close to peak. Well after shooting some landscapes I took a few mile hike through some of the remote areas of the park in search of some Whitetails. There was a warm afternoon sun but in the woods the light was rather low so all of these are shot either ISO 800 or ISO 400. Shutter speeds ranged between 1/30s and 1/90's except for the one shot of the doe which was 1/160s. Shot these on center weighted metering. Shot with the D2X and the 200-400 mounted on a mono-pod. I really like the VR function of this lens.
    It is mating season here for the deer in PA so each buck I came across had its little harem of doe surrounding him.
    Well the buck pictured in #3 took exception to my presence and rushed me, let me tell you I had my mono pod ready but it was just a bluff but let me tell you sure had my adrenaline going!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Man o Man I go away for a little while and get to come back to all these rockin shots :Shocked:

These are just great the sharpness, light overall tone is so pleasing

Hey you can find me with Kevin and Gale under that Rock :biggrin: :biggrin:

Just gotta say this the quality of work from everybody around here just keeps getting better and better ........... so glad to be part of it .

3. Man how do you do it? either the place is lousy with deer or you are one hell of an outdoorsman.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Mike...you definately make the best out of your photo opportunities. As Dave mentioned, the place was lousy with deer!!! Nice story as well...I can picture you running with the lens over your shoulder:eek: . You are a perfect example why we all need insurance on our gear! :Shocked:

5. Mike these are all really great but I love the 4th shot. Those eyes just make the shot. Very nice. It rained so hard here today that it kept me inside all day. Glad to see your fine shots.

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Mike, these are wonderful images. I've never tried to shoot deer, but you just convinced me to put my 200-400 on the monopod I just bought and head for VFP. BTW, I grew up about 1/2 mile from the southern edge of the park. Back then in the last century it was all farm land.

Question for you - How do you create the frame and shadow effect? I want to "borrow" it. Did you create a PS action, or did you buy an action or plug-in.

Gordon

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    More excellent shots Mike. Not sure that I'd want to challenge a horny 120 lb animal with large pointy antlers though. :biggrin:

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    My my my, these a really nice Mike! How close did you get to these critters? Fantastic technique getting such sharp shots at these really incredible shutter speeds? That 3rd one is 1/45th @400mm? Judging from the n@tsack on that 3rd big boy, I'd say he he was pretty virile! Bet that did give you a scary thrill!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mike those are outstanding images. The light is beautiful as are those animals.

Charged right at you.. :>))

Glad it was a bluff.

10. Yeah Frank, I just cant picture you being it's girlfriend either...:biggrin:
    Besides, Janie would get angry and then that buck would be in real trouble...:wink:

11. Killer shots Mike, just be careful, dont want to damage the Nikon gear...:cool:

12. Who are you, Dr DooLittle? Now you can even get the animals to smile for the camera? Good grief!

Great shots!!

13. Thanks well you set the bar real high we are just trying to keep up here! I so dig finding and capturing these guys

14. It is always lousy with deer you still have to use some stalking skills to get close but there is an abundance of deer to be found. I was more worried about my health insurance than my gear insurance

15. Sorry to hear about the bad weather, it was 74 here unseasonably warm. thanks for the kind words

16. Gordon
    Get out there and get some deer get out of the car and go hunting for them.
    I use a action from Fred Miranda website it is like 10.00

17. Me either I am more of a ladies man myself!!!! I was pretty scared there for a moment

18. Steve
    My years as a bow hunter paid off there are a ton of deer here but you still have to be patient and pay attention to wind direction and stay covered and move slow. I am very satisfied with the 200-400 and slow shutter speeds, the VR works real well

19. Thanks Gale I am sure glad it was a bluff too, I was a little concerned for sure

20. Lmao

LMAO