A walk on an old farm

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Pa, May 18, 2017 at 3:17 PM.

1. Today our seniors hiking group was invited to walk on a farm which has been in the family for over 200 years. The current owner/occupant is the grandson of the original owner, and he is about our age. His wife led the walk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

2. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Love old farms, is #8 the main residence, if so, are there any updated amenities.

3. wow what a place and the pics are very well done.

4. No, this is the main residence (from a hike there four years ago):

[​IMG]

View from the back yard:
    [​IMG]

This is the owner's workshop and "man cave":
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks, Randy.

6. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    So what is the building in #8, very original main house or an ex workers bunkhouse?

7. Unfortunately I was out of earshot when the lady was explaining that, but I think it was the old original family home. I did understand that it dates from the 1700s. In the attic there are heart-shaped holes cut in the outside walls which she said were rifle holes. This area underwent quite a bit of strife with the local Shawnee tribes when it was first settled. See Drapers Meadow Massacre.

8. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Good stuff, thanks for the link ... I'm a colonial history buff.

9. Very nice Jim love the pictures

10. Nice series Jim. Looks like the farm is limited to growing hay these days.

To put this in context, The Cataldo Mission church, built by Father DeSmet for the Coeur d'Alene Indians in 1850-53 as the Mission of the Sacred Heart, is the oldest standing building in Idaho.

11. Thanks, Tony.

Thanks, Nick. Yep, very different history.

12. What a place, you've documented it extremely well Jim.

13. Thanks, Louie.

14. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Jim, whenever you'll visit my region again, I like to invite you to a local farm house museum.
    Bauernhaus-Museum Wolfegg
    Sorry, the website is only in German. But you'll get a visual impression of the houses shown there.
    These buildings were dismanteled all over our State and rebuild in Wolfegg. Some are many centuries old.

A photographers paradise...

I love your pictures in this series
    Klaus

15. Thanks, William.

Thanks, Klaus. The Bauernhaus Museum sounds a lot like Ballenberg near Brienz, Switzerland, that we enjoyed a few years ago.

16. A pastoral paradise. I can hear Ralph Vaughn Williams playing in my head. Beautifully shot - I love the row of roses in the first shot and the graphics on the barn. What a wonderful place to wander.

17. Very nice series, #7 is probably the one I like best. I know we always hear about a "simpler time" back then but from any one who knows their history it was not easy (but it might have been simpler!).

18. Thanks, Ted. I tend to hear Beethoven #6, but I'm sure some of RVW's music fits, too.

The barn graphic is a "barn quilt". A friend of ours creates those as a fund raiser for the Craig County Library.

Thanks, Stephen. Yep, life was not easier back in those days...just different.

19. Beautiful pictures. I love old farms. My father's sister and all three of her children still live on the "family" farm where my father was born and raised west of Jacksonville, Florida. I was there with my father for his other sister's funeral and we walked the farm together. It was a real treasure to walk the property with my father as an adult and get his first hand account of farm life and livelihood. Many of their original outbuildings remain and he was able to give me his own account of his experiences with each one - where they raised chickens, where they slaughtered hogs, the corn crib, how they bled the pine trees to make turpentine, etc.